17 - Chapter Seventeen - Maddox Vincent's Point Of View.

Once the underboss was gone I heard Emerson let out the breath he was holding and I took a chance to look him over before tossing the rest of my whisky back. Anger was right and center in my chest, Jackson had been careless and Emerson had seen me shoot them, people, I was sure of it.

"Jackson get lost. Emerson and I need to have a chat."
"Got it, Call if you need anything."

Jackson took off, he knew I was angry and he didn't want me ripping into him like I really did want to. There was no reason Emerson and I should have locked eyes. That window should have been empty. I wondered how he saw me now, so I asked,

"Emerson, tell me something, How do you see me now?"
"I am having trouble wrapping my head around that what I saw was real and not something my head made up."
"It was very real."

I reached into my jacket and pulled out the gun I used. I checked the safety and pushed it closer to Emerson who looked at the gun in shock. He had most likely never actually seen one.

"This is the gun you used?"
"Yes."
"What does it feel like?"
"What do you mean?"
"What does it feel like firing it?"
"There's some kickback and the first few times it can hurt. It is all about setting up the shot, and practice."
"Teach me sometime?"
"Emerson, This isn't some game. You know what I do and you know what im capable of, you saw it."
"Teach me. At least I can attempt to protect myself, What good am I by your side if im useless."
"Your far from useless, you do bring a good point. But right at this moment, I don't think I want to teach you about this, I wanted to keep you as far from this as I could."
"You can't, It's in my blood."

The smile on his face hid the fear I could see in his eyes, but I wasn't for me.

"What's on your mind, don't lie to me."
"He knew about me, more so he knew about us."
"Yes, Im not surprised about it all. It only takes someone to tell the wrong person, and it was bound to come out about you being Cade's child. The worrying part its that someone knows about us. Well, the Antonios won't overstep and cause you any harm because our business ties and families prevent it, it won't stop others. You will be in danger at some point."
"Then protect me."
"I swore I would. There is nowhere safer now than here, beside me. But with that you have to understand what you saw isn't a one time deal Emerson, it happens daily here, it is too dangerous for you too go now, you are stuck here with me. If you leave my side you will be in danger, at some point."
"I understand. I had no reason to leave. I understand your job and what comes with it, it's just shocking to see. I'll is ok."

Emerson slid the gun back towards me.

"Put that away its dangerous."
"So am I."
"I put you away last night, that's why my hips ache."

I looked at him, He was really making a sexual joke right now.

"My moms going to be pissed."
"Probably. But wait until I tell her I want you to stay here."
"Forget my mom, Cades going to kill you."
"He is of course welcome to try."

Emerson made a scoff and I looked at him.

"What?"
"Im going to have to quit my job, aren't I?"
"It's safer if you did, but you don't have to at this very moment."
"Ok. Id likes to keep it just a while longer."
"That's fine."

It really wasn't fine, but I wasn't going to burst his bubble, I would just make sure he was protected at all times. I would have to make sure he could defend himself, that was the big thing. My mother would be proud of me for caring about another person. I knew that was her fear. 

"Emerson, When I met your eyes in the window I was worried you would see me as a monster,"
"I thought I would too, it went through my head, but I knew you weren't, you have never been, not with me and that's what matters."

Emerson laced his fingers with mine and smiled at me.

"Looks like your stuck with me pretty boy."
"Emerson is not appropriate for this situation."
"What! its the truth."

I looked at him, He was going to be the biggest pain in my ass. But I was pretty sure that's what love was. Did I love him? I didn't know and I didn't want to make him think I did if I couldn't. I did know that in the short time we had known each other we were like magnets and the sex was great. I figured it wouldn't be too long until Cade found out that the Antonios knew about his kid. Even more, than that, they knew his kid was in my bed.

"Hey Maddox, does this make us an item?"
"If that's what you would like us to be, in my world it makes you mine and mine alone, no other person may have your attention or its punishable by death."
"Well, That's great I think."
"Yes, great, because that's the word I would pick," I said laughing at the whole thing.

I didn't keep people in my bed for more than a night and even that was rare, he was just special.