25 - Chapter Twenty-Five - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View

Things had calmed down, there weren't any attacks in two weeks, but yet everyone was still on edge about the whole deal. Maddox was working everyone to the bone, Rosie and Zev were spending more time with me then with Jackson, I was rarely seeing Maddox. He would come for lunch and he would be gone again. Zev had gotten back to pretty much being normal, or so he said. The dark circles were slowly going away, but you could see even he was stressed. I couldn't blame him though. He had a home and a job, he owned that he couldn't even go back to because of Maddox.

"How are you feeling today Emerson?"
"Not well. I have a headache, and other aches that aren't appropriate to talk about."
"I see, Have you told Maddox----"
"Oh! I'll tell Maddox with my god damn fist----"
"Now Emerson, Violence doesn't solve the anger you are feeling towards your----"
"Oh shush. Don't evaluate me right now."

Zev had a smile on his face, you could tell he was just holding back on his snarky comment. We had become pretty good friends, We could mutually complain about Maddox and his stupid rules. Sipping my coffee, I looked at the time. Maddox would be coming for lunch at any time.

"Rosie, Do you want some lunch? Daddy and Uncle Maddox will be coming for lunch soon."

Her little feet raced to the kitchen. She stood there in her PJs and smiled.

"lunch please."
"Ok, Do you know what you want?"
" Sandwich."
"Ok, Im on it."

Zev helped me make enough sandwiches for us, Rosie, and the overworked gentlemen gracing our presence soon. We made a few extras just in case. It was really interesting watching the way Jackson a Zev interacted. I wanted so badly to ask if they had fucked or were just planning on ignoring the very clear sexual tension between them. Rosie took her sandwich to the living room with her, she was watching cartoons on the tv. Since there wasn't really much else to do. She had online schooling that we helped her work on, but she made it clear she wasn't interested in learning today or at least learning that wasn't provided by the television.

Jackson was the first to walk inside. He didn't say hello or how are you. He sat at the table and groaned.

"Just kill me. I'll take death now."
"Jackson, on a scale of one to ten, how many days do you feel like wanting to die?"

I hid my smirk behind my coffee cup as Jackson told Zev to fuck the hell off.

"I was being serious," Zev said laughing
"I bet you were."
"I really was you know!"
"Blah blah blah."
"Really! That's really mature."

They stopped bickering when Maddox came in like the black cloud he was currently being. He was yelling at someone over the phone in both English and another broken dialect I didn't understand. He hung up the phone angrily and threw it sailing towards the kitchen counters. Setting my mug on the table, I stood up and walked to Maddox. I wrapped arms around his very angry body. It was clear he didn't want to be held but he didn't fight me off. He wouldn't let me go when I wanted to give him space. He held onto me longer. No one said anything not even after he let me go,

Grabbing his phone off the floor I tucked it back into his breast pocket and gave him a shove to the table before going to grab his food and giving it to him.

"Thanks."
"Mhmm, Phone stays in the breast pocket, No more technical phone planes."
"We will see."

Zev didn't comment on the behaviour of Maddox. He didn't have too, he knew Maddox's behaviour. After lunch, I saw Maddox sneak into the living room. In his arms, he returned with a sleepy-looking Rosie. It was clear he had woken her up. Once she actually woke up a little more she hugged her Uncle Maddox and then all but crawled across the table to her daddy. Maddox sighed before he spoke.

"Go home, get some rest, we cant keep working like this, we are all tired out."

Jackson didn't wait for Maddox to retract his words and said thanks and away he went. Zev and Rosie pulled right along behind him. I shot Maddox a questioning look tell him I wanted to know what he was playing at. He just smiled. He picked me up from the kitchen chair leaving everything where it was and carried me to the bedroom. I figured he would want sex, since it had been a few weeks, instead he dropped me on the bed and laid beside me pulling me into his arms.

"Just let me hold you."
"Any time Maddox, Any time."

We laid there for lord knows how long before I heard his soft breathes. He was definitely asleep behind me. I was really worried about him. He was still young yes, but all this working and push to keep working would make him exhausted far worse than he even was now. There was no doubt Jackson was probably asleep now. I wondered if dad was just as tired. Honestly,  I hadn't seen him in two weeks, Maddox was keeping everyone so busy. Maddox's phone got one ring in before I snagged it.

The front screen read ALEXI. That was the other underboss. Answering the phone I snuck out of Maddox's arms and the bedroom.

"Hello, Maddox?"
"Hello, Maddox is sleeping, I can take a message or wake him up if it is important?"
"No, no. Let him rest."
"Alright."
"Just let him know, Creed is on his way."
"Ok."
"Also, Next time you need anything, clothing, books, doctor services, Come visit me in my office, I deal with all the finances."
"Ok, thank you. An thank you for not telling him."
"All good."
"Ok."
"Have a good afternoon Emerson, Stop by sometime and introduce yourself."
"Sounds good."

Alexi hung up without so much as a bye, He seemed pretty down to earth just by his conversation. I was just glad he didn't out me to Maddox about Dr.Martin. Walking back into the bedroom I plugged Maddox's phone in and set it on the nightstand before snuggling back into the bed beside Maddox. I was pretty sure I loved him.