34 - Chapter Thirty-Four - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

I practically had to drag Maddox to the front desk. He was still having trouble with being here. I felt his pain,  I couldn't fully understand it but I could feel it. It was like he shut his emotions off only seconds later, He gently took his hand from mine and rung the bell on the desk. A nurse came walking up to the desk.

"Can I help you."
"Yes, Im-- We are here to visit Abigail Vincent."
"Mrs.Vincent is only allowed approved visitors, your names please?"
"I'm her son Maddox Vincent and this is my partner Emerson."

Two visitors passes were passed to Maddox and he clipped his onto the maroon crew neck sweater he had on. It looked really good against the black jeans I packed for him. I put the pass on the pocket of my T-shirt.  Maddox wrapped his arm around my waist as he pulled me beside him through the rest home. The clean hospital scent made me uneasy but I didn't show it. We walked for what felt like nearly forever before Maddox stopped in front of a door with Abigail's name on it.
Opening the door Maddox and I was met with a nurse who perked up at seeing Maddox. She stepped away from where she has been standing to come over to Maddox.

"Im really glad you made it to see her."
"Thank you for looking after my mother."
"Maddox, I will look after your mother till the end of days, Almost fifteen years I've been by your mother's side."
"I appreciate all you do for her."
"Whos the cutie?"
"This is Emerson. My partner."
"Your mother is going to love him, she likes the cuties you know!"
"How is my mother?"
"Well, there are more bad days than good days, but you have come on a great day. She's sharing stories of all kinds of times, she told me about your birth and how cute you were."
"Can we see her?"
"Of course, She would love that."

Maddox walked around the wall that separated the door area off from the rest of the room. he pulled me behind him and I found myself smiling at his mother, She was well kept and looked beautiful. There was hardly any grey to her hair and she was made up looking like the queen she was. She smiled when she saw us.

"Hello."
"Hello, Abigail."
"I haven't had visitors in a while."

Maddox took a deep breath before he spoke to her.

"Im sorry I haven't been by to visit in a while."
"It's ok. Im waiting for my husband."

I watched the Maddox cringe. He was going to tell her about his father being gone. I spoke before he could.

"Hello, Abigail,"
"Hello!"
"How are you today?"
"I feel very well. My vacation is wonderful, Im just waiting for my Maddy before we can go home."
"Tell me about your Maddy."
"He's perfect you would know him if you saw him."
"I understand."

A doctor popped his head in the room and asked to speak with Maddox about his mother's condition. Maddox left me in the room with his mother well we chatted about his childhood, at least the parts she could remember.

"I miss my Maddy."
"Im sure he misses you dearly too Abigail."
"Who are you?"
"My name is Emerson."
"Have you seen my Maddy?"
"Yes, I care for your Maddy."

She took my hand and looked at me.

"My Maddy needs someone to care for him."
"I promise to care for him forever."

She held my hand not letting go as we sat on a love seat together. She kept looking over at the seat where Maddox had been. She seemed to be in her own world until she came back to me.

"They tell me he comes to visit and he's grown up, but I can't remember him."
"Yes, he is a grown man now."
"You know my Maddy?"
"Yes, I would like to think I know him very well."
"Can you tell me about him?"
"He is the most gentle caring soul, he looks just like his beautiful mother. He is a bright light in my soul."
"You, love him?"
"I do."

Her hand tightened around my own as she just sat there.  She smiled to herself.  Maddox joined us again not too long after.  He sat back in the chair and looked at her hand in mine. His face held sadness but he didn't say anything. He stood up and walked over to his mother and took her other hand and spoke softly.

"Im sorry I've been gone so long mother."
"It's ok. I just have to wait for your father Maddy."

He held onto her hand not willing to let it go.  He fixed apart of her hair when it fell down across her face. She held both of our hands in silene until visiting hours were over. Maddox kissed her head. She looked at me he hands not letting me go. She smiled at me her eyes holding happiness.

"When you find my Maddy hold onto him for me."
"I will hold onto him every night."
"Goodbye, thanks for the visit."

She waved from the couch as we left. Maddox didn't say anything until we got into the car. He sat in the passager seat his head in his hand and sobbed. It was sobering for me to see this man cry so deeply over his mother. Anyone who thought this man was a monster didn't know this Maddox, Abigail's Maddox. I held onto him until he stopped sobbing. His eyes were glassy and his cheeks streaked with tears when he looked at me.

"She knew me, She hasn't known me in a while. There was a piece of my mother there."
"She knows you were there Maddox, A mother knows her child even if she can't tell you."

Maddox kissed the top of my hand softly. A silent thank you for being there, It felt great that he needed me as much as I needed him. This was the Maddox I saw from the very first moment, the Maddox Abigail told me to look after,  I had every plan to do just that, now and forever.