30 - Chapter Thirty - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my self on Maddox's scale that was dusty and clearly never used. When the six-pound weight gain showed up on the digital screen it made me bitter. Maddox was making me fat, It was all the lack of walking I was doing. I paced around the house and grumbled about the weight gain. Rosie had been here in the morning until her grandmother took her for the weekend. So here I was at two in the afternoon pacing the house angrily. I felt fatter now that I had confirmed that I had gained weight. I called my mother to whine about the weight gain and all she did was laugh at me. I had seen her the night before when she and Cade had come over for dinner. I was happy to hear that she was thinking about selling the house and moving into Cade's private area in the house. That meant I would be able to see her all the time again. 

Going to the fridge I angrily ate green vegetables with ranch dressing. I was going to whine to Maddox when he got home, Surely he would care about my new six pounds. I kept on my feet all day, I would walk off that six pounds. I had cleaned just about everything I could clean and had done crunches and sit-ups. I was going to try angry push-ups but I decided that was too extreme, I just wanted the lose the new six pounds not all my extra weight, I had no issues with being mildly overweight.

Maddox got back around seven. He looked at me as I walked in the spot in front of the stove.

"Emerson, what are you doing?"
"Im walking off my new six pounds."
"How do you know you've gained six pounds?"
"The dusty ass scale in the bathroom."
"So it was the scale that made you like this?"
"Yes, It showed me I gained weight."

Maddox went and grabbed the scale. He opened the window in front of the sink, siding the screen out of the way and tossed the scale right out of the window.

"There a problem solved."
"How does that help my weight gain!"
"Keeps you from being toxic about your weight."
"I am not toxic about my weight."
"Its six pounds."
"Exactly."
"That's toxic."
"It is not!"
"Do you really want me to ask the good doctor if that is a good behaviour to have?"
"No."
"Thought so."

Groaning I went and sat down finally. I couldn't lie and say I wasn't happy to finally be sitting down again. I tried and still livid about six pounds. Maddox didn't seem fazed at all by it. Maddox had finished cooking dinner and we sat down and ate in comfortable silence. Maddox took the dishes and washed them when we were done. He came back to the table and literally picked me up out of the chair.

"Eh! What are you doing!"
"Movie time."
"Put me down im heavy."
"Really, I didn't notice."

He set me on the couch after carrying me to the living room. I raised my eyebrow at him in a questioning fashion. He just smiled at me, He sat on the couch and flicked on the tv. He rented a movie we both wanted to see and he pulled me against him. We landed cuddled on the couch watching the movie, it was pretty good until all the power in the house suddenly went out. Maddox went still beside me. He pulled out his phone, his phone suddenly started blaring a sound that made my ears ring. Maddox grabbed me roughly and took me with him as he moved around the house, he double-checked to make sure his lock was in place.

"I want you to go hide in the bathroom. Someone's come to visit that shouldn't be here."

Maddox all but shoved me into the bathroom.

"Lock the door. Don't open it until I come to get you."
"Ok!"
"I love you."

I couldn't respond to Maddox because he was gone. He had run away from the door and out of the bedroom. Climbing in the tub, I had nothing, not even my phone. I could hear gunshots, not one or two but dozens. My chest was heavy as I sat still in the tub. I hated this. I wanted to be Maddox's side, to protect him. I ignored his command as I got out of the tub, I could hear footsteps as I stood still just outside of the tub. Someone jiggled the handle of the door before another set of feet come over and the door was kicked in. There stood Creed and Alexi.

"We have to go."
"What's going on? Wheres Maddox?"
"Loverboy is a little busy holding off assholes at the moment, we have come to grab you."
"You can trust me, Emerson," Alexi said as he shoved a handgun in my hands. he very quickly ran me over how to use it. He grabbed a few things out of Maddox's office before they quite literally pulled me behind them. There was smoke everywhere once we got out of Maddox's area. I never saw once as they moved me around the entire building. I have pulled down the basement stairs into the dark before a door was opened and light flooded the space. It was like a safe room, It was full of other people and children. I saw Zev and Rosie sitting on the floor. He looked relieved when he saw me.

"Emerson, Maddox was very clear about making sure we told you to stay here. not to leave, do you understand?"
"Yes."
"Good."
"Please keep him safe."
"I will try."

The door was shut and I watched as two people locked the doors. Deadbolts held the concrete reinforced doors shut. I hated this. The gun Alexi gave me wasn't just any gun, it was the same one Maddox had the night he let me hold his gun. I knew Maddox had a bunch of guns hidden in the area for moments like this.

Zev came over and took to were he had been sitting. Rosie had tears running down her face as she crawled back into Zev's lap. I hated being here and not being able to help.