09 - Chapter Nine - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

The house was really pretty set away from the beach. you could smell the water from the driveway despite that the beach was across the road from the house. He clearly had money so why didn't he have a house on the beachside.

"Let's go grab lunch before we go down to the water."
"Ok."

He grabbed the bag out of the trunk, and I grabbed my bag following him to the door. He grabbed a key fob out of his pocket and held it to the door. I heard it unlock and he pushed open the door. The house was simple and light coloured.

"Make yourself at home."
"Alright."

He went back outside and I heard the car start before I realized he must be putting it into the garage. When he came back I studied him before asking what I really wanted to know.

"I get your the Mafia don, so you must be really busy? So how is it you can spend the day with me?"
"People like your father, My underbosses, they do all the work when I'm away. I also am intitled to vacation, not all the time but this day won't put me too far behind."
"I see."
"The bag of shorts are on the couch in the den, you can use the bathroom to change. It's right at the top of the stairs."
"Ok, Thanks."
"No problem."

  Maddox was strange. That was the long and short of it. For someone who was supposed to be violent and a killer, he hadn't shown me that side at all. He kept it really well under wraps. The bathroom at the top of the stairs was amazing. You could tell someone had planned for it to last. It was like out of a magazine, the clawfoot tub the beautiful black and white checkered tiles with light grey walls. I could have spent hours in that room just enjoying the space. This seemed to be the only room that wasn't updated. I kicked off my shoes and just climbed into the tub forgetting that I was supposed to be getting changed. The window let amazing amounts of light into the bathroom right over the tub.

"Emerson, Are you okay up there?"
"Yeah! Sorry I got sidetracked!"

Pulling off my sweat pants and boxers I pulled the black and rainbow shorts out of the bag ripped the tags off and pulled them up to my legs. They fit. Thank the heavens. I tugged my hoodie off and made sure my tank top underneath was not revealing of my scars, it wasn't. I ran my fingers over the lip of the tub slowly before leaving the room. On my way out I noticed the sign on the back of the door that read "Abigail's Grand Bath"  I smiled as I left the room. Whoever Abigail was she had amazing taste in her bathroom.  I couldn't help but let my mind wander around the idea of who Abigail was. Maybe she was Maddox's wife or maybe an ex-wife. But then surely I wouldn't be around if he had a wife, he didn't seem like the type. Maddox was at the bottom of the stairs the suit he was in long gone and he now had a tank top and swim shorts on. It was pretty odd to see him like that considering id only never seen him in suits or naked. I liked him dressed down, He looked just as good as he did dressed up, only he looked more relaxed. Like he was off the clock. I liked it.

"Those look great on you."
"Thanks."
"I have good taste in picking your clothing it seems."
"I wouldn't get that cocky Maddox."

He chuckled opening the closet by the front door and tossing me a pair of smaller red flipflops,

"I think those are the only ones that will fit you."
"Thanks."
"No problem."

He slipped a pair of flipflops on his feet and opened the front door for me. I went outside and waited for him to follow. The walk down to the beach was more walking down the driveway than anything. The smell of the fresh air was great. You could feel the water in the air the closer we got to the beach. The steps down the side to the beach were less steep then I thought they would be at first glance. I got out of the way so that Maddox could come down the stairs, I walked quickly to the edge of the water and stuck my hands out just enjoying the spray from the waves. The sun felt really good on my skin, I couldn't remember the last time id actually went to the beach. The water lapped at the tips of my toes.

"It's so nice here, How do you not live here all year long?"
"I don't like how cold it gets here by the water."
"I would live here all year long. Cold or not."
"Your welcome to come here whenever you want, im only here ten days or less out of the year."
"Why don't you sell it?"
"Absolutely not. That's out of the question!"

Maddox had gotten visibly hostile and I hadn't seen that on him ever. This house had to mean something pretty important to him.

"Maddox who's Abigail?"

His face stayed flat but his eyes showed the shock his face couldn't.

"My mother."
"This was her house?"
"Yes."
"Did you grow up here?"
"For a few years."
"What happened to your mother?"
"Can we not discuss this right now?"
"Sure, When you want to discuss it if ever I will be here to listen."
"Thanks."

He kicked his flip flops off and pulled his tank top off before going towards the water. I watched him enter the water before I kicked the red flip flops off looking down at them once more. I walked back towards the water and walked in. Maddox was up to his neck in water. He dunked his head under the water and when he popped his head back above the water his stuck back hair was curled. It was honestly a good look for him. I wasn't sure what I preferred on him, not that it mattered.

We splashed around in the water until the sun went away and Maddox and I were both sunburnt and sore. I was going to regret the sunburn but definitely not the day we had that was for sure. I had enjoyed the day with him.