27 - Chapter Twenty-Seven - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

Zev and I didn't have Rosie today, She went to her grandmother's. It was quiet and odd. Zev must have felt the same way because he let out a sigh.

"I miss working."
"Im sure there are enough people here you could be set for life."

Zev and I busted out laughing at the thought. There really were a lot of people here that could benefit from Dr.Martin's help.

"That's actually a really good idea, I would be safe since Maddox thinks what happened could happen again."
"Yeah, exactly."

Zev turned his head and I saw the hickey peak out from the corner of his sweater. I didn't have to wonder who had put it there, I just wondered when he had put it there.

"So Zev? What are your plans once house arrest is over?"
"I don't know, honestly. Im not sure ill be able to live alone, I might be lonely, I've gotten quite used to Jackson and Rosie."
"That's understandable, Lord knows how long Maddox's going to enforce this lockdown."
"Things have been calm for almost a month, but I swear his lockdown is getting worse."
"Tell me about it, I can't even have dinner with my parents."
"He wouldn't keep us here unless it wasn't safe. Im kind of enjoying the vacation, I do miss work though. Over the phone treatment isn't helping all my patients, I've had to refer a bunch to other Dr's,"
"If you're looking for new patients, Try Maddox's underboss Alexi, I hear he is pretty close to losing his mind, Courtesy of Creed. Or that's what Maddox was talking about the other day. "
"I could try, though I doubt he would want me to bother him too."
"You never know."

Jackson came to get Zev so they could have lunch before I could pester him about the hickey. Maddox came back shortly after that and I couldn't hear the show I was watching on the bickering of two men. Peaking around the corner Maddox was standing between, two men. One I recognized as Alexi the other giant wall of a man must have been Creed. The words coming out his mouth were so thick with an accent I could hardly understand them. It seemed Alexi had no trouble as they argued. Maddox left them to argue there when he saw me. He pulled me back into the living room kissing me roughly. He tasted of whisky, it was a smooth taste on his tongue.

"Godfather Antonio and his family have repaired all the damage and they have returned to their normal life, We also should be able to do the same."
"Im so happy to hear that."
"As am I."
"Zev will be able to return to work then."
"No, Jackson asked me to extend his "Vacation" for as long as possible."
"That's only because Jackson trying to keep Zev, I saw a hickey on Zev's neck."

Maddox chucked. The sound of arguing was getting louder and Maddox sighed.

"I swear I didn't bring them home with me. They just followed me like lost puppies."

Stepping out of Maddox's arm I walked into the hall and yelled excuse me. They both turned to look at me.

"Can you kindly knock off the fighting or as Maddox says, Get the fuck out!"

Alexi took a deep breath. He looked annoyed with Creed and just like sleeping hadn't been a priority for him.

"Can I get either of you a drink?"
"I'd kill for a coffee, please?"
"Absolutely, cream and sugar?"
"Two of each please."
"And you?"
"No thanks, Maddox and I have to talk business, its pretty important."
"Let's go then," Maddox said groaning from the livingroom. He had an office at the very back of the private section but he very rarely used it from what I had seen. Making Alexi's coffee I set it on the table and he hummed when he took the first sip.

"Thank you. I really needed this."
"I can see why, Trust me."
"That man is the largest pest I've ever met."
"I can tell."
"I'd kill him if I was allowed."
"I don't blame you."

Alexi sipped his coffee slowly. He seemed to really be enjoying it.

"Would you like anything to eat, a snack maybe?"
"Sure."
"I have homemade chocolate cookies."
"I will defiantly take one or two of those off your hands, Jackson said your cookies are amazing."
"I wouldn't say amazing, they are edible."
"Haha, I like you, your light, it nice to be around you."
"I think Maddox would disagree, He has seen my temper,"
"Your still here, so I would disagree."
"True."
"Maddox hasn't opened up to anyone the way he has you, it refreshing to see him have a connection with another human being."
"Yes, I've heard that quite a bit about Maddox."
"He's always been cold and nasty. More so after his father's death. His mother Abigail was the one who kept that man nice, once she got sick his father stopped being a nice man. I grew up with Maddox, I remember it all. "
"Maddox doesn't talk about her, I know shes sick though, He deflects me when I ask."
"Give him time, Abigail is getting sicker every day. He cant pull himself to visit her, he hates having to tell her that her husband is dead. It kills him to see his mother cry."
"I can see why he doesn't want to talk about her."
"Im sure he will tell you about her one he has a clearer head, all this going on doesn't help, the fact that Creed is here means we are not out of the woods yet. Creed was on a very important mission overseas for our family, if he came back that means something really dangerous is going on. If that's the case then we need him. Despite how much I can't fucking stand him."
"I just want this all the be over, I miss Maddox, the Maddox he showed me at the beach house."
"He took you to the beach house?"

Alexi looked pretty shocked.

"Yes a few months ago."
"Im surprised he hates that house. Too many memories of his mother."
"I picked up on that when we were there, but he actually looked like he was enjoying himself."
"You doing funny things to that man, stick around as long as you like, like forever."
"Yeah?"
"Your good for him."

Alexi finished off his coffee and the cookies I got for him. By that point, Creed and Maddox came back. Creed got a pretty good look at me.

"You look so much like Cade."
"Thanks?"
"Oh Spitfire, we get to share an office, Maddox said so."

I watched Alexi cringe before glaring at Maddox who just shrugged and said there was no space to put Creed right now.

"Hey Alexi, come back any time, coffee and cookies are free, I don't pay for them."

Alexi laughed, Maddox bought all the food with his personal cash. Alexi was bound to know that too. After all, he made the budgets.