18 - Chapter Eighteen - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

To say my mother was far from happy hearing that people knew I was Cade's son and that I was also sleeping with Maddox, was a giant understatement, she was absolutely beyond livid. She didn't blame anyone, however. She wasn't sure who deserved her anger at that moment. But she did say something about giving Cade a piece of her mind about the whole shit storm. Honestly, I didn't want to be him when she did exactly what she said she would. Maddox had suggested Mom allow Cade to stay in her house to make sure she was safe for the time being. It was clear right away, she didn't like that idea from the way her nose crinkled. I didn't say anything as I watched my mother sigh and nod.

"Cade can stay for one single month. He's messy and loud. He isn't allowed to be running the streets all hours of the night either. Im not about that."

I felt like laughing, she did realize Cade was an adult right? Shit in the sentence alone I could see there were going to be problems with them living together, but that didn't look like my problem now. Maddox's little car didn't have the space for all my things so he borrowed Cade's SUV for all my stuff. It really was a good idea because I was about to show this man my literal dirty secret. My filthy fucking closet.

I snuck up the stairs and into my room. Taking a breath I opened the closet door. I wanted to get some of this shit cleaned before Maddox saw it all. That would probably give him and his clean freak behaviour a heart attack. Maddox brought boxes that he bought at a moving place, I was mildly shocked. I found that really weird, Every person I knew that moved never bought boxes, they just went and got some from grocery stores and other places that left there boxes for that purpose. Being rich was definitely something I wasn't used too.  Don't get me wrong, I was in no way poor or low income, but we also didn't buy moving boxes or fancy cars because why not. Assembling all the boxes I started throwing shit left, right and center into boxes. It was amusing to me when I found a really old school work from highschool. Maddox came up the stairs not that long after and brought a black garbage bag.

"Your mother said you would need this for your dirty secret."
"How dare she out me like that."

Snagging the bag I started tossing a lot of things out. Maddox offered a hand the best he could. You could tell my closet was a trigger for him. He stepped on something in the closet and vibrations against the floor were all that could be heard. My eyes went wide as I was quick to remember about the rechargeable bullet I had hidden in the closet. Maddox had his eyebrow raised and a look on his face that told me he knew about what was vibrating on the floor. Hopping over boxes I dove into the mess in the closet to locate the bullet and when I found the lime green offender I turned it off.  Looking around the area where Maddox had been I found the remote he had stepped on.

"Lime green huh?"
"Shut up, you ass."
"I didn't take you for a toy man."
"Sometimes I like to be shaken not stirred."

Maddox looked taken aback at my comment and shook his head. He wanted to know, so I told him. Not my fault he was ill-prepared for my comeback, Once the danger closet was dealt with Maddox looked at me before opening my junk drawer in my dresser, If he would have held still for a moment I would have warned him but nope.

"Your horrible."
"Im a mess. My room is a reflection of my soul."
"That's not funny."
"It really is."
"You are going to be so much to handle aren't you?"
"I'll try to keep my mess contained. Just give me a place to deposit my collection."
"I can give you plenty of places. There are many trash cans available."
"Now that just mean Maddox."

Maddox started throwing my papers in the junk drawer away and a photo album also came out with the stack of junk he pulled out. The album hit the floor and opened. Maddox looked down and he stilled completely. The album was from when I was a baby and toddler. Before anything, I could remember. the papers in Maddox's hand went into the bag. He picked up the album and looked at the photo intently.

"Do you know her? I don't know her, not that I would remember this."
"That's Abigail, My mother."
"Oh! Mom said your mother had watched me a bunch of times."
"I don't remember this."
"Why?"
"I might not have been with her then. This might have been right before she got sick, I was training with my dad."
"Oh. That makes sense."

He flipped through the photo album stopping at another really old photo of who I now recognized as Cade and mom. She was heavily pregnant and smiling. It was really odd to see.

"You were a cute baby."
"Thanks, then I grew up."

Maddox just shook his head closing the album, He tucked it into one of the boxes and went back to cleaning my shit up and packing it away. The whole rest of the time we were packing my things he was quiet and sombre. I figured it had to do heavily with the photos of his mother. That really seemed to be a sore spot with him. I wanted to help him, but I couldn't if he didn't want to talk about it. I knew that from the therapy I had to attend well I started my transition. It worried me to see him so quiet. The mind was a horrible place when you were overthinking.

After getting all the contents in my room packed and loaded into the SUV, I sighed. I was going to miss living with mom. She had been my everything for so long and it was scary that someone else was becoming just as important to me as she was.