38 - Chapter Thirty-Eight - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

After being wheeled into another room, changed into a hospital gown and an IV stuck in my hand with some a pain medacation drip to help with the pain, I tried to wrap my head around exactly what was going on. I wasn't stupid but any means, but my brain didn't want to work. Here I was my hand on my hardly changed midsection counting all the times I was stupid enough to ignore my body signals.
The being ill, puking, the back cramps and the weight gain. It all made pretty good fucking sense to me now. But it didn't mean I was ready to accept that I had been invaded and my body was home to something that wasn't supposed to exist. God damn fucking Maddox was going to blow his fucking lid when he found out about the whole fucking issue I was in, on his twenty-ninth birthday of all things.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts as Zev came into the room. He looked stressed.

"Maddox is on his way."
"Is he angry?"
"He is confused I think, but he is Maddox, he's going to prepare for the worst."
"Zev what do I do, I've fucked up so bad. He didn't want this!" I cried the heart monitor on my finger beeping as my heart rate went up. A nurse opened the door and checked on me quickly.

"Maddox is just as responsible as you are. You both made that child."
"It shouldn't be there, I didn't give that thing consent to make me it's home."
"That's why condoms are a thing."
"You are not making me feel better."
"Sometimes the truth is painful."
"No, I can handle the truth, its accidents that are painful."
"Emerson."
"What! I was just saying."

Zev held my hand as we sat there. Tears streamed down my cheeks as the weight of the whole thing sat on my shoulders. I worried about the pain I was going to put Maddox through. He had been a father once and lost that chance, it wasn't something he wanted. At least not of his own flesh and blood. Here I was making it all happen again.

"Everything will be okay Emerson. I can't promise he will be ok with this, but I will be here, you're my friend. I will be here to support you."
"Thanks, Zev."

The door opened to a very stressed out looking Maddox. I hated that I had done this to him. I couldn't contain my tears at seeing him, they just flowed freely. He stepped out of the way as Zev left the room. He probably wanted to give us space. He took Zev's seat. He was silent and I hated it.

"Im sorry I've ruined your birthday!"

Maddox slipped his hand in mine giving it a squeeze. He looked me for a while not saying anything.

"You didn't ruin my birthday, Though this is not the gift I figured I would be receiving."
"I didn't mean too. I didn't even know this would happen, It wasn't supposed to happen, Im scared and I don't want you to be angry with me. I really had no idea."
"Emerson breathe."

Tears poured down my face as pain filled my hips and back again, this came in went very quickly. Maddox left to get the doctor, the doctor came in the room Maddox right behind him. The doctor had a brief look between my legs and spoke after dropping the sheet.

"Baby time will be very soon."

I watched as Maddox tried to keep his cool. He was overwhelmed and I could see it. I had made problems for him. He pulled his hand through his hair. His words stilled me the moment they left his mouth.

"I don't know how to be a father."

I felt like the only thing I could do was apologize again, But the words just wouldn't leave my mouth. My mouth was dry and sour tasting, I really didn't know what to say to him.

"Are you in pain?"
"No."
"Ok, Im glad. Do you know what our plan is from here?"
"Our plan.."
"Yes, our plan. If anyone should be sorry It should be me, I assured you I was fixed and it seems that was not the case, Though I will get that redone, should that be something needed again."
"Maddox, This is my----"
"No, Emerson you said we would do things together. Whatever the outcome is out of this, we do it together."

The doctor returned shortly after that and took Maddox with him. Maddox, the doctor and a few nurses came in dressed in blue scrubs, hairnets and all the rest of the gear. Maddox didn't have a poker face on at all he looked really nervous as they set everything up. He held my hand as the doctor instructed me on pushing out the creature inside of me.
It had the be the worst thing I'd ever done. The moment the head was out I figured that would have been the end of the massive amounts of pain. Oh, the boy was I ever wrong, shoulders came after and they were so much worse. I was working on crushing Maddox's hand when it was over.

I watched as they took my baby away. I started to panic, Maddox held my hand reassuring me that things were ok. Once that first cry sounded out all the tension in my body seemed to leave. The rest went by pretty quickly as they did whatever they needed to. When the blue blanketed baby was placed on my chest I wrinkled my nose and just looked at the thing. I was still in disbelief that things had been living in me and I never noticed. It was like an alien to me.

"I would like to never do that again."

Maddox was transfixed on the bundle on my chest. His eyes looked over the creature intently. The doctor returned after that with Papers.

"Congratulations on your perfectly healthy baby boy. He is nineteen inches and six and a half pounds, What are we going to name this boy, daddies?"

Maddox and I looked at the small strange creature and then back at each other. We didn't have any names for the thing currently laying on my chest. I remembered something my mother said about if she ever had another baby about naming it Ares if it was a boy. I glanced at Maddox before deciding that this was the best option for me.

"Im thinking about naming him, Ares Vincent."
"I think that's acceptable."

The doctor wrote on the papers and we signed things. The doctor left and the nurses came back and put bands on us all. Maddox ran his fingers over the cheek of the small creature, Ares. Eyes popped open and blinked a few times. That was all Maddox could handle, I watched as the creature was scooped off my chest and Maddox held him. I hated how good he looked with a baby in his arms, but I also fucking loved it.

I snorted as I remembered the pancakes from weeks ago.

"I told you that was how you get pregnant"

Maddox tore his gaze off the baby he was holding, his son. His face held a look that told me how bad he wanted to scold me even though I was right. He just shook his head.

"Im ninety percent sure your father is going to kill me for this."
"Maybe, open the door and let's find out."
"Let's not. I don't want to share him yet."

I shook my head at this man. He held on to the baby even as he went to open the door. He wasn't ready to give up his son. Not even to me.