12 - Chapter Twelve - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

Maddox had come back to his private area later that night. His arm looked sore and he seemed sightly doped on meds, but he was grateful I tried to fix his suit for him. I would have tried to sew it but I didn't have the stuff and I doubted my ability to be able to fix that.

This morning we ate breakfast before he drove me to work. Getting out of the car it was hard not to notice the shock on Emily's face.

"Emerson, Im going to try to not freak out. Did you really just get out of that car, was that actually, you know who?"
"Morning. His name is Maddox and he's decent."
"He's a killer."
"I can't condemn what I haven't seen."
"How did you even..."
"Its a really long story."
"Trust me I have time."
"Let's just say everyone in this town makes bank off him, my own dad included."
"He a cop or something?"
"Or something."

Work was super slow. Glancing out the window I saw cops walking towards the store. What the hell. They didn't enter they just watched threw the window for a few minutes before nodding and leaving. It was the weirdest thing to have witnessed. It honestly rubbed me the wrong way.
Groaning I pulled out my phone well I waited for Emily to return from the bathroom. When she did she didn't look too good.

"Are you ok?"
"Yeah, I just have a headache."
"Then ill be super quiet."
"Thanks."

We sat in silence, helping anyone who came into the store. It was around one when Emily and I were deep in a conversation about random things that would happen in the town when my father and another man entered the store. I watched as they just picked up random books and set them down after reading them for a few moments. I glanced over at Emily who was glaring at the man beside my father.

"Emily are you okay."
"They are underbosses."
"How do you know that?"
"I know him, His name is Jackson Chance. Or that's at least what he told me."
"And you know him how?"
"A few parties when I used to be a waitress."
"Oh yeah? do you always hang out with the Mafia."
"We have a daughter together. Rosie."
"How do you get that from a waitress job?"
"When you have sex after the party."

The hate glare from Emily didn't stop when they got to the desk with a few girls picture books in hand, He clearly cared for his daughter.

"Id like the purchase these."

Emily didn't move to help him so I did.

"Here ill help you."
"Thank you, Emerson."
"Mhmm."

I scanned the books one by one. Tucking them in the bag, After fourteen books were scanned, I turned to the man Jackson.

"Cash or credit?"
"Credit please."
"Here you go, it's ready for you."

After he paid he looked at Emily, Something pleasant in his eyes.
"Please have my daughter ready for when I pick her up tonight, it's my weekend."
"Absolutely not----"
"Emily the visits are court-ordered."
"You bribed them!"
"I did not."
"Your such a lier! just like you lied to me about your job!"

"Can you go fight somewhere else!" I raised my voice annoyed.
"Apologies Emerson," Jackson said he bag of books in hand as he left the store.

Cade stuck around, making me raise my eyebrow.

"Hey son, have a good day & I really am sorry about the backhand."
"Son? You're his son!"

Cade left not even worried about the shit he shook up. Emily was ranting about everything.

"How are you that man's son!"
"My mom fucked him and made me."
"I mean there's no way!"
"There is."
"That's how you know Maddox!"
"Yes and no."
"I feel so bad for you."

She had finally gotten on my last nerve with her yelling.

"Listen here, Emily! Give the guy a fucking chance to prove he can be a good dad. Don't stop him from having a chance to parent his child too. Your kid will regret not having a dad around. Trust me."

Emily stayed quiet for the rest of the shift. I walked home after my shift was over. I half expected Cade to have been here but he wasn't. My mom's SUV was the only one in the driveway. I was glad it was just going to be mom and me. We hadn't had time to spend together alone in a few weeks. Getting inside the house all I could smell was perfume. On the livingroom table sat a massive vase of roses, they were really stunning.

"Emerson is that you?"
"Yup."
"Ok! Your dad and I are going out for dinner and a movie tonight!"
"Ok."

The excitement in her voice was hard to miss. Lord knows the last time my parents went on a date. It didn't help I was a little annoyed because all I wanted was to spend time with mom.

"You were a very small baby the last time your dad and I went on a date. "
"Maddox's mom Abigail watched you that night. She loved how small and beautiful you were."
"I've met her?"
"Only when you were a baby. She got sick after that."
"What happened to her?"
"Im not really sure honey, You will have to ask Maddox."
"I did. He won't talk about it."
"Im sure it hurts him. He was really close to his mother. She looked after him until he was fourteen then his dad looked after him mostly. Because she got too sick."
"I see."
"Em, I'm not going to lie and say I'm happy your fucking around with Maddox because of what he does and you could be put in danger, but if you're serious about getting hot and heavy with him permanently, promise you will be safe about it. I trust he will keep you safe regardless. Just mothers worry you know."
"Mom I swear I will be safe about getting hot and heavy with Maddox, you have my word."
"No grandbabies till your twenty-five."
"No grandbabies period. Maddox is fixed."
"Accidents happen, Emerson, "