16 - Chapter Sixteen - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

My hips were definitely aching the day after, Shit they had been aching hours after we fucked. I guess that's what happens after four or five rounds of hips smashing sex. Maddox seems to be in a very good mood as he brought me back food from the kitchen because I didn't want to venture there.

I had told my mother the truth over a text message as to why I was spending the night at Maddox's with him. All I got back was the laughing emoji and ok ill see you whenever your home. She was probably humping Cade's brains out anyways or she definitely was now.

Eating the toast and eggs I watched Maddox intently as he signed shit and wrote emails. It was surprising he sent emails about what he did. Was he not scared of getting caught? I would have been. He got a text and got super serious.

"Don't leave this room no matter what you hear."

He left the room without so much as a kiss or saying he will see me later. It must have been super important. A few moments later I heard the door open and that set me on edge. Jackson walked around the corner and into the bedroom.

"Don't mind me. Maddox sent me here to make sure you stay safe."
"Why?"

He looked stressed about whether he should say something. I finished off my toast before he actually spoke.

"We have unwanted visitors in the building. Some relation mafia men. An annoying underboss and his right-hand man. We mostly play nice."
"Is it normal to get a visit from them?"
"No, They are probably going to ask Maddox for something, or push him to give them something. They only come to play when they can use us for something. "
"That's annoying, why not just tell them to fucking beat it."
"That's not exactly how things work around here. We make deals and they go away, Or Maddox gets pissed and tells them to get the fuck out or get shot."
"That doesn't seem to like him honestly."
"You haven't met the Maddox we call Boss. He probably will never show you that."
"He's that dangerous huh?"
"There's a reason we don't have issues with the cops and not because we all are stand up citizens."

Jackson left the room walking to the living room and flicking on the tv, He had the music channel on the tv up so loud I couldn't hear a damn thing that was going on. He was blocking out sounds on purpose. What the hell was going on?

"What's going on!"

I had to lightly yell over the music for him to even hear me. He just shrugged it off. Getting out of the bed I was glad I had gotten dressed before I had fallen asleep. I walked the kitchen and got up on the counter. I could see out the window to the front yard from there. The moment I looked out into the yard I was able to see Maddox and another man shooting a line of people in plain sight. I could hardly believe my own eyes. Jackson finally noticed where I was and pulled me off the counter.

"What did you see?"

I pulled my hand through my hair. There had to be a reason he shot those people. There just had to be.

"He shot them. A line of people."
"They could have stolen, murdered, or even just offended someone big."
"How is that fair? They don't get a chance to explain why!"
"Such is the life around here. You'll learn to get used to it."

I shook my head finding myself have a hard time getting rid of the image of Maddox holding that gun and snuffing out someone's life. Did he feel powerful taking a life? Would this feeling be different if I had been raised around this?

"What's it like to take someone's life?"
"A rush, pure power. But it's not like that for everyone. Some people can't handle taking life."

Climbing back up on the counter I watched Maddox lookup us meeting eyes even from that distance. I tore my eyes from him and watched them move all the bodies. Maddox disappeared from view with the man beside him. I watched the pavement getting sprayed with the hose and the blood disappearing.

"Maddox's not going to be happy that your up there. More so that you saw that."

Jackson went and turned the tv off, There was no point having it on any longer I saw what I wasn't supposed to see.

"What's that side of Maddox like?"
"Cold, sharp, smart, A killer."
"I got that, I saw it."

Jackson walked to the china cabinet and pulled out a couple of glasses. The bottle of whisky was next. I walked over and grabbed the round ice chunks in the freezer. I remember seeing them from when I poked around in Maddox's place the last time. Dropping one in each the glasses, Three in total.

"Maddox is on his way back here with the other man. Go to his bedroom and close the doors."

I nodded. And did exactly what he told me to do. There was a reason he was telling me to do something, Jackson hadn't given me a reason not to listen and Maddox was probably the one who gave him the instructions. Sitting on the bed I heard them come in and Jackson giving them the whisky. They chatted about family and friends before I heard them getting down to business.

"The line of people I brought with me today were pinching drugs and money of our boys, they are shipment drivers. Helping themselves. A gift from our Godfather in good faith for the weapons shipment the other night."
"Never a problem, Anytime. Within reason of course."
"Of course, of course. We would never ask for anything we knew you could get for us, Don Vincent,"
"Where is Godfather Antonio?"
"Im sure I am overstepping here with my information, but his husband and he have adopted a small girl. The next heir it seems."
"How exciting, make sure he gets my congratulations."
"It seems you should have congratulations on Cade's behalf, I hear he has an adult son."
"He does."
"We have also heard he likes to hang off your arm, now that couldn't be true could it?"
"Who wants to know?"
"Now no need to get defensive, Don Vincent, You know we can't hurt the boy, he's part of this family."
"Jackson, Tell Emerson he can come out of the room now."

Sitting on the bed, I watched as Jackson opened the door, His face alone held words he wanted to say. I watched his mouth move making out the words be careful its not all that safe. Leaving the bedroom, Maddox was sat at the table on the far side of the living room.

"Come sit with us."

Maddox's eyes told me not to refuse him. Not here. So I listened. Sitting in the chair I felt the other man's eyes on me. I didn't like it but introduced myself otherwise.

"Emerson Bennett, Cade's son."
"Pleased to meet you Emerson, names, Sirgo Antonio."
"Pleasure to meet you too."

I shook the hand he had extended to me. I looked at Maddox after making sure that was the right thing to do.