28 - Chapter Twenty-Eight - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

Maddox was lying to me. He said there hadn't been any more attacks but Jackson had accidentally outed him. He was on the phone when he dropped Zev and Rosie off. I heard him yelling at my father about the number of guys they were losing due to someone picking them off in groups. I felt anger twist in my gut at the thought that he actually lied to me. I started the dry heave and leaned over the sink losing my breakfast. Zev took Rosie to the living room, turning the tv on before he came to check on me.

"Emerson are you ok?"
"Nope."
"Want to tell me what going on?"
"Not really, Only thing I want to do it solve my pain with anger."
"Violence will not make you feel better in the long run."
"But I'll feel better in the short run,"
"Emerson that is not how you solve whatever is going on."
"It how I'm going to solve it."
"What is going on?"
"He fucking lied to me, He lied about everything Zev."

I started to dry heave again.  Anger was all I could feel even as Zev tried to talk down my anger. He rubbed my back and tried to calm me down. When they came for lunch Maddox leaned down trying to give me a kiss and I turned my head.

"What's for lunch, today love?"
"Whatever the fuck you want to make yourself."
"Excuse me?"
"You heard me, or maybe you would like to lie about that too."
"What exactly have I lied about?"
"What haven't you lied about!"
"I'm going to give you a moment to change your tone with me, Emerson."
"I think id rather not change my tone."
"Emerson, im not in the mood."
"Oh, why? Someone else gets attacked?"
"No one had been attacked."
"Even now you are going to lie to me?"

He looked mildly confused before he looked at Jackson. Jackson rubbed the back of his neck not really saying anything.

"So, What one of you would fill me in on whos being attacked and why im finding out through Emerson."
"Let's talk in your office," Jackson said his face telling me he wasn't impressed.

Zev rubbed his forehead before going to check on Rosie who was passed on the floor between the couch and the coffee table. There wasn't any yelling, there wasn't any sound. Both Zev and I were actually worried about what was going on in that room. When Jackson left the office he had a split lip and I felt bad. It was my fault that he had gotten in shit. Zev tried to offer him help to quite literally be shoved away. Jackson left the private section just as Maddox made his way out of the office. He had Jackson's blood on the back of his hand. I felt sick. Leaving the table I went into the bedroom closing the doors behind me. I felt so guilty about what had happened to Jackson. He no doubts thought I was to blame as well. My father was on the other end of that phone call as well. Cade was also going to get in trouble because of me.

A soft knock on the door was all that was heard before Maddox let himself into the bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he sat on the edge of the bed, his hand cleaned.

"It's not your fault Emerson."
"It is. If I wouldn't have said anything you wouldn't have hurt Jackson."
"Jackson got what he deserved. Just as your father will get reprimanded as well. Im the boss here, the leader. When something like that happens im supposed to be in the know, they couldn't even tell me."
"I got them in trouble."
"You didn't make them not tell me, You thought I was doing you dirty and lying to you. You had every right, Emerson. I would have done the same."
"I'm sorry."
"You have nothing to be sorry about. You were understandably angry with me, Next time just ask me, Don't assume I won't tell you something if I know about it."
"Alright."
"Also, Jackson will get over the backhand, He's a big boy with his own brain, he won't blame you."
"He should apologize to Zev."
"Im sure he will, When he cools off."
"Are you going to hurt my father?"
"Probably not, He doesn't get mouthy with me normally. Besides, we have common ground we stand on."
"I see."

Maddox pulled me into a hug and his cheek touched my forehead.

"You're a little warm, you should have a laydown."
"I feel a little warm."
"Zev said you were puking, its probably from all this stress. You have a rest."
"What about----"
"I'm sure Zev will be ok with you laying down, I'll let him know you're laying down."
"Ok."

Maddox left the room. I snuggled into the blankets taking in his scent. I missed him, I wanted to be skin to skin with me. I was craving him. Honestly, though that was probably because of the Testosterone shot. It always made me horny. Inhaling his scent off his pillows I felt like such a weirdo. I was in here lusting for him well he was hard at work trying to keep everyone safe. It seemed I was unable to sleep however when Zev came to check on me in an hour he was surprised when I said hello the moment he opened the door.

"You're supposed to be resting, Maddox said you were unwell."
"I'm a little warm, probably a flu bug."
"Most likely."
"I couldn't sleep though."
"Maddox and your father have been talking in his office for a while."
"I hope they are both ok,"
"I'm sure they are."
"Look at what happened to Jackson."
"Jackson is cocky, he probably said something Maddox didn't like so he hit him."
"Still, it feels like it's my fault."
"You're feeling guilty because he got hurt, He knew that. Don't think that Jackson doesn't know you're a caring person. Caring people get taken advantage of all the time. He got in trouble and got cocky."
"Are you ok? He did shove you."
"I'm ok. He didn't mean too, Anger is a good motivator to do things you normally wouldn't."
"Hey Zev, I'm glad you're around. I like having you around. I hope we stay friends."
"I like being around too, Despite almost dying."
"Maybe that's the fun part of their job?
"Who knows."