23 - Chapter Twenty-Three - Maddox Vincent's Point Of View.

Slipping out of the bed, Emerson was still fast asleep. It was nine in the morning and he would probably sleep for another hour or two. He had stayed up and waited for me to unwrap him like the gift he was. After sex that kept him up till four am there was no way, he was getting up for another hour and two. I went and got dressed quietly, looking at Emerson once more he still looked peaceful and sound asleep. Leaving my private section, I made sure the door locked before I left. Going to my office I closed the door and took a deep breath before I checked my calendar. There was a ton of shit wrote down for today, but the biggest one was the visit with Dr.Martin. I had an appointment every month, but I only actually went every two or more. I couldn't be bothered to go vent to a stranger for an hour every month. Honestly, I wouldn't have even been there if I didn't need help managing my anger and rage. Things would be much worse for everyone if I didn't at least go this far to try to be a better person. Which was why I left the killing to Cade. He was far worse than me and refused to see Dr.Martin for ongoing treatments. If you considered just talking a treatment.

Pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration, I looked at the rest of the things that were on my calendar. After the visit apparently, I had an appointment with the doctor looking over my mother's health and well being. Today was not the day I wanted to be doing any of this. All I wanted to be the spend some time with Emerson, maybe take him to dinner. Clearly, that wasn't going to be happening now. Leaving the office, I grabbed a random set of keys off the hook. They were SUVs that anyone could use whenever. The keys went back up on the hook when they were done. Checking the tag on the keys, where the license plate was written, I found the SUV with no problem. Alexi and Jackson were in a heated argument, stepping around the SUV I went to find out why.

"What's going on?"
"Word is the Antonio family was attacked early this morning, by another family. I haven't been able to reach any of the underbosses."
"Continue your regular daily jobs, keep your eyes open for anything that's not normal and send someone to watch Emerson, If Cades not busy make that person him."
"Understood."
"Alexi, was there something you needed?"
"I have a budget increase for Dr. Martin, I've signed off on the payments. Papers are on your desk just waiting to be signed for a permanent increase."
"Alright, I'll have a look when I get back."
"Maddox, are you going alone?"
"I'll be fine."

I didn't wait for him to tell me it was unsafe or dangerous now. It was a shame to hear about the Antonio family, but they wouldn't try to attack our home, not if they were smart. Once they were safe, I was positive the Godfather and his husband would reach out to me. The SUV was awful, it was hot as hell. I snagged a coffee on the way to Dr.Martin's office. It was everything I needed at this very moment. Parking the car I tucked the keys into my pocket and went inside. The office was quiet as it normally was, thank god. Dr.Martin smiled when he saw me.

"Good morning Maddox, I wondered if you would show up."
"Yeah, seemed right now was a pretty good time."
"Good, good, Im glad to hear that."

I followed Dr.Martin into the office and sat down on the couch. He sat down, the note pad nowhere present, as normal. He never took notes, not that i didn't allow it, he chose not to have any evidence of our conversations and I could respect that.

"What would you like to talk about today Maddox?"
"I've heard you increased the amount of funding, Alexi told me this morning."
"I did, I have another parent from your company. As per our deal, the funding goes up every person."
"Understandable, Alexi has approved the payments and all I have left is to sign the permanent increase. Whomever it is I assure is in good hands."
"The same as you Maddox, I treat you until I hinder your process."

The room was quiet for a few moments before Dr.Martin spoke again.

"How is your daily life going Maddox?"
"Good, Things have changed but im not against this change."
"That's good to hear, What kinds of changes have been going on?"
"I have a room--- No that's not right, I have a lover now."
"Im glad to hear that, How does this person make you feel?"
"Emerson, His name is Emerson. He makes me feel normal. Not like a monster. I tried to keep him from the violence in my life and that just made it worse. I fear to damage him, Like my mother."
"Maddox, Lets talk about your mother, Then shall we."
"Sure."
"How is your mother?"
"She is losing her mind. Every day that passes it gets worse and worse. She will hardly know me now. It's taxing on me. I want to visit her, but I find myself unable to see her in that state."
"That is understandable Maddox, She's very ill and you don't want to lose the memory of her you know."
"It's not even that, It's just she so far gone she won't remember im her son and that her husband is dead, gone. It breaks my heart every time I have to tell her."
"Maddox, Perhaps you need to------"

The glass from the windows shattered blowing inward. My ears rang as I checked around for damage. Dr.Martin was frozen in spot cuts on his cheek and hands. He was shaking like a leaf. Grabbing him I pulled him to the floor and into the corner of the room. Pulling my phone out of my breast pocket I sent out an alert to all the family members.

Grabbing Dr.Martin he was still shaking.

"What-what happened."
"Breathe. You're going to be ok."
"My... My office."

He stood up and as he did bullets rained threw the open windows. I pulled him below the window line. The sound of gunfire continued for only a few more moments before I heard someone calling my name.

"Maddox? Boss? Are you here?"
"Yeah back-office Jackson!"
"Are you injured?"
"No, Dr.Martin should be looked over, however."
"Alright."

Cade stood outside, he had one of the shooters, right by the collar of their jacket. they were clearly knocked out, that should be glad, I hoped a quick death for them, knowing cade would tear them to pieces if he was given the chance.

"Boss, Are you alright?"
"Have you secured the grounds and made sure everyone involved is dead or captured?"
"We have we killed all but this one."
"Good."

Cade nodded his eyes checking me up and down before looking at the spot where the SUV once sat now a giant fireball.

"Jackson, Take Dr.Martin with you back the house and make sure to get the doctor a drink he's going to need it."
"Yes sir."

Pinching the bridge of my nose I thought of ways I could make this up to the good doctor, this was more than giving him a raised kind of situation. I tagged along with Cade back to the complex. I was worried about leaving Dr.Martin in the hands of anyone, but I knew Jackson would make sure that he was well looked after, More so Jackson was the least gangbanger, mobster looking our of all the underbosses.

Looking at myself as I stepped out of the SUV it had only just occurred to me, I wasn't exactly sure what to tell Emerson about that had happened. Maybe the truth would be the best option, we were supposed to be lovers after all. Settling on telling him the truth, I made my way to the private section. Opening the door, The sound of a brand new baby threw me off, Without missing a beat I rushed into the living room. Emerson sat there with Godfather Antonio, his husband and their baby. His eyes widened when he saw me and the state of my suit, which was covered in glass shards, rips and cement dust.

"What the hell happened to you!"