11. 》》 Querencia

(n.) A place from which one's strength is drawn; where one feels at home.

I hauled the transparent door to the cafeteria wide open, early October's warmth vanishing behind me as soon as I stepped into the air conditioned setting

The expanse of room was jampacked with students, a scene that was quite unsurprising for me to witness.

My shoulder slumped as my eyes landed at the neverending line for placing an order, I rolled them before shuffling my feet to stand behind the girl at the end. I felt slightly lightheaded from lack of sleep last night, skimpy dark circles uglifing my face and uncombed locks of hair sheeting my cheeks.

The sleepiness from my system had been erased since Friday night, puncturing all of those tasks I had compiled to do this weekend.

Incidents from the pizzeria have been replaying in my brain repeatedly, the tempo that Ash had used to threaten that old guy has been ringing in my ears. My cheeks had burnt with the concern his eyes had carried when the drunkard had left the place, He was indeed too bothered for me, wasn't he?

I should be knowing that whatever Ash did that night was only because he couldn't tolerate the customer's behaviour at the workplace; He was distressed as a mere worker at the pizzeria, nothing more than that.

Crap, hope is such a dangerously gladdening sentiment, it either glues the pieces together or rifts them further away, And I'm not sure what's gonna happen in my life's version.

The cellphone in my jeans' pocket vibrated, indicating a text had arrived.

I yanked the device out, one of my hands kept on hips as I exhaled at the sender's name and read out the message in my brain.

Serryyyyyyy class is bout to begin in 10 mins ! Got your latte yet?? (•o•)

I rattled my head from left to right at the number of y's and that kiddish emoji Dawn had typed in the text, she does that for expressing excitement, or in this case, 'worry'.

Queue is too long rn so maybe I'd arrive late .

I tapped on the send arrow before switching the phone off and putting it back in the pocket, the line moved forward like a colony of ants.

I drummed my feet restlessly, peeking at the counter every now and then.

Because my eyes were unblinkingly fixated at that spot, the person who had placed a hand on my shoulder had to softly squeeze as it broke my daze and I winced at his pair of bright, emerald eyes.

"Morning Serena!"

Gladion's lips arched from one end as I blinked, bringing my feet together and upholding the eye conact between us.

A paper cup with the cafeteria's logo 'Grinders' was gripped in one of his hands, the free hand was casually tucked in his hoodie's muff pocket.

"Morning to you too."