33. 》》 Meliorism

(n.) the belief that the world can be made better by human effort.

The retests began quicker than we had expected them to

The retests began quicker than we had expected them to. A week before that, literally everyone in our gang was contributing to Ash's hardwork by staying overnight at his dorm turn-by-turn - sometimes when he didn't seem refusing, we guided him on what topics to pay more focus on and formulating him a healthy but tight study schedule.

You know those kinda people, right? The ones who have this senseless mindset that going with someone else's 'style' of doing things affect their originality and they're automatically tagged as a copycat. I mean, I can never approve to the fact that copying the other person is something to be proud of, it's straightforward silliness.

What my morals believe is that taking inspiration from a trait of someone you admire a lot ain't a bad thing. It, in fact, is a sign that you learn from your surroundings and it can never be labeled as plagiarism -- because as much as the sea wills to be blue like the sky above, it's hella obvious that a body of water is still completely and utterly transparent, and that's what makes it special - it lacks color but is still the most poetically scenic offering from the hamper of nature.

Long story short, I wasn't sure whether Ash would take any possible advices or not. He always had been innovational like that, and by fair means or foul, his efforts couldn't go in vain this time. Second chances never fall on one's lap like they did for Ash, so it was now mandatory for him to make the most of it.

It was the twenty third of December, one more day until the winter slash Christmas break would start, and it was also the date when Ash's results were coming out.

Considering how cold it was, only Dawn and Gladion tagged along with me to wait for him at the playground. I was too restless, my bottom lip busted from contantly pressing my teeth on it as I and the two of them sat at a vacant bench, its iron surface almost frozen.

Dawn was preoccupied with scrolling through an article about the future plot of an anime she watches - one that had popped up on her Google Discover page. Sometimes even I wonder, how many miles might we have traveled with our fingers on this device?

I and Glaidon, meanwhile, were passing the time by switching turns in the Chain Reaction game on his phone. The red balls were dominating and my blue ones were nearly microscopic in front of his - which obviously meant I was gonna lose for the third time already.

"And - there!" He exclaimed, restlessly tapping the red dots which dissovled mines instantly.

I internally screeched and externally let out a groan as the screen displayed the winner, and Gladion victoriously smiled at it.

"Seriously?" I deadpanned in defeat. "You're definitely trolling me, come on!"

He gasped and gave me a 'wait what' look before responding. "In other words, you don't know the mastertrick in order to win and you're blaming it on me, am I right?"