32. 》》 Nepenthe

(n.) something that makes you forget grief or suffering.❞

Convincing the principal was a task of its own

We were fateful that somehow Gary pulled it off with ease -- though there was one condition for Ash's retests to commence. The exams would start off from this coming Monday - which meant he had merely four days left to prepare - additionally, there won't be any preparatory leaves. Beautiful.

I knew it seemed totally impractical for him to mug up such an expanse of syllabus under these bizzare conditions, but my dear people, he's Ash. Ash Ketchum. One whose punchline to not give up 'till it's over was the reason I came all the way till here. And no way could I drop even a chip of this belief. No, never.

Today he hadn't kept even a single step out from his dorm room, though we were supplying him with water and meals timely, a dry sort of blandness was slowly consuming me from the inside - it wasn't heartache or an urge to cry on my bedsheets whole day. It was, maybe, a pricking cactus needle like sensation that faintly stung from time to time.

From Lillie's incident to Giovanni's sudden death - it had been over a month since this totally uncalled-for chaos was going on, and now when our lives were moving in the appropriate direction again, Ash's retests came into being.

And damn, my patience level was crossing its so-called delusional limit, and it won't be long until it'll hit the point where all the pent-up emotions would trickle down from the little cracks in the form of impulsively spoken words.

There's always this particular phase of the day when you just wanna unwind your senses from the tiresome activities and the bullcrap that keeps on littering your life. Midnight right before falling asleep is that time for me.

One lone thought led to another that eventually got connected to a third one -- and before I could snap out, my self-argument of what should be eaten in breakfast tomorrow had worked out into a topic of the forever talked-about Gen-Z humour. Oh well, guess I ain't getting sleep anytime soon.

I rolled over to the side that was opposite to the lamp, tucking my palm underneath the side of my head in an attempt for a more comfortable posture. And when my eyelids began to shutter, a vibration from the phone jumped me awake yet again.