26. 》》 Induratize

(v.) to make one's own heart hardened or resistant to someone's pleas or advances, or to the idea of love.❞

The underlined paragraphs stared back at me through the textbook as I went through them for a final brush-up

My knee was bouncing involuntarily and I was nibbling on my thumb like a baby while sitting at the edge of the living room couch. I wasn't in a condition to check out on how my dearest roommates were coping, but knowing them through-and-throughly confirmed that they weren't feeling any better.

Biology was the subject that's kicking off our examination season. Given how many less hours I spent on this nightmare of memorizing scientific names and inhumanely diagrams did no less to cool my panicked state down.

"When in the world did Professor Rowen teach us this crap?" Dawn scrunched her nose in absolute disgust at the notebook kept on her lap.

"Says the girl who scrolls through her socials in midst of a lecture." Misty pinpointed out, almost like a bullseye that knocked out the bluette's mindless braincells.

On a double take, I don't think that girl had any braincells in the first place.

"Oh no I don't," Dawn retorted, slamming her binder shut and already in to take the argument further. "The teachers are sick! They don't realise just how much potential their students have. And making us write exams isn't a help at all!"

"Right now the sick one's you." May followed up instead of the carrothead, hands on her hips as she stood up. "All you know in Bio is that mitochondria's the powerhouse of the cell. It ain't gonna score you a presentable grade, Dawn."

Saying so, the brunette swinged the backpack over her shoulders and balanced the woolen hat taming her hair before walking outdoors. All that Dawn could muster up in response were sour ramblings of curse words, her eyebrows knotted together and teeth grinding.

Misty just shook her head, eyes on her own textbook that was placed on the coffee table. "Just scribble down whatever crosses your mind after reading the question, that's all I can advise you." She spoke with sass, but the concern in her voice didn't go unnoticed.

You can blame her for being a self-centered witch all you want to, but that's never gonna shadow Misty's caring side even an inch. And I've come across a fair share of tsunderes to be familiar with their hidden emotions in contrast to how they seem to react.

We had merely twenty minutes left for reaching our respective examination halls, so I eventually chose for letting my jampacked brain go on a chill-out mode. Constantly revising
at the moment could even explode it from extra knowledge.

While Misty and Dawn were occupied within their own world of stress and exchanging competitive looks every minute, I packed my bag and rose on my feet to call Lillie out.