17

Morning approached, fear having settled in my stomach as I waited

   Morning approached, fear having settled in my stomach as I waited. It wasn't the same fear that alerted me to danger like I was used to feeling when something was set to go wrong but fear that told me that this was really happening. The people I loved were going to fight in a war against newborns who had neither the wit nor the want to not kill us, but the need to hunt my sister down and end her existence. I raced through the forest on Alice's call when they approached our group colliding with the army, the numbers drastically different. Pieces of stone flying as we took bodies down. Noah had his hands wrapped around the head of a newborn, her eyes rolling and her body disintegrating his hands glowing a cold black. I had known of his power but seeing it in use, seeing his eyes deepen was chilling nonetheless. I had my arms wrapped around a newborn using my strength crushing his body allowing him to fall running through the clearing, Jasper following close behind me taking down newborns that were following me. I had closed my eyes following senses as they dictated the movements I needed to make.

   I threw my hand out feeling the crunch of stone under me the quick movements shocking even myself. The wolves had joined us, their loud growls alerting us. I grabbed a newborn twisting my body their body flying straight to a wolf that attacked mercilessly. The newborns had been taken by surprise by the wolves allowing us better access. I felt behind me a newborn but I could hear Jasper behind him taking him down quickly. I look back at Jasper slightly annoyed that he was paying more attention to protecting me than he was to protecting himself. Another newborn had gotten close taking a bit out of Jasper's arm, I hissed grabbing the newborn I had my hands on her face using my strength ripping her head clean off. "I don't need protecting," I said to Jasper who just smirked in response continuing his fight against the newborns.

   The fight was over as quickly as it started, I killed my last newborn looking around for stragglers to see my family all exhaling knowing the danger was for the most part over. "We need to dispose of them," Carlisle said solemnly at the lives lost.

   "What's she doing?" I asked looking at the newborn who's eyes fleeted Jasper immediately going to dispose of her before being stopped by Esme. "Jas," I say putting my hands on him to stop him "What's your name?" I asked her red eyes filled with confusion and fear

   "B-Bree," She stutters and I smile

   "Lilith," I respond looking at Carlisle and Esme who looked thankful before turning to Jasper "It's okay," I whispered looking back at the child before helping Emmett and Rosalie dispose of the other newborns. Jasper stayed close to Bree with watchful eyes. Bella and Edward came down from the mountains. The potent smell of my sisters blood caused my head to snap to her and the newborn who seemed to smell it too. "Control yourself," I say to the newborn "Hold your breath. It helps," I give her a small and helpful smile Jasper hissing under his breath threateningly. I take his arm into my hand looking at the new marks.

   "Is he okay?" Bella asks tentatively

   "He's fine, just an overprotective fool," I scold dropping his arm as Carlisle started talking about how the pack should leave as the Volturi wouldn't honor our truce. The pack begins to leave when a newborn comes out of the trees attack Leah who yelped. Jacob intervened and I watched as the newborn crushed his bones. Jacob fell and that's when everyone reacted. I immediately restrain the newborn as the wolves get their revenge watching Carlisle and Edward help Jacob. Bella's hysterics had started at the sight of her best friend so hurt. I watched the wolves take him before moving back to the newborn who'd watched fearfully. I frown seeing the fight in her at everyone so distracted and Bella such an easy target. "I don't want to destroy you but I will," I threaten Jasper taking a spot close to her.

   "They're coming!" Alice said I looked at Jasper than Bree knowing it was the end of the road for her. The Volturi approached their cloaks concealing them from the sun, the fire blazing making them more menacing. I moved closer to my sister and away from the newborn my eyes watching them waiting for their moves.

   "Impressive," Jane starts "I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude intact," The annoyance present telling me she was hoping for more.

   "We were lucky," Carlisle says humbly Jane hums

   "I doubt that," She comments

   "It appears we missed an entertaining fight," Alec speaks for the first time my gold eyes move to him the threats clear from both ends as we glared my gaze moving quickly to his twin who I'd hated more than him. My gaze stone just as hers was. Edward looked back at me with unspoken words but looks back at Jane.

   "Yes. It's not often we're rendered unnecessary," She taunts obviously having known about the newborns and throwing it in our faces.

   "If you'd arrived a half hour ago you would've fulfilled your purpose," Edward comments she looks at him

   "Pity," She says no remorse present in her melodic voice. Her gaze catches Bree and a menacing smile appears "You missed one," I moved to Bree just as Jasper did both of us on either side of the newborn.

   "We offered her asylum in exchange for her surrender," Carlisle informs the sadistic girl who smirked enjoying this.

   "That wasn't yours to offer," She comments her gaze returning to Bree "Why'd you come?" She raises her voice up an octave but doesn't give Bree a chance to answer before Bree crumples screaming out in pain from Jane's potent gift. I don't intervene but I look at Jasper who looks back at me knowing the pain I'd felt for the girl. "Who created you?" Jane continues Bree screams louder

   "You don't need to do that, she'll tell you everything you want to know," Esme intervenes Bree's screams stop as Jane stops

   "I know," Jane says showing exactly how sadistic she could get.

   "I don't know. Riley wouldn't tell us. He said our thoughts weren't safe," She coughs out the pain still lingering.

   "Her name was Victoria," I spit glaring "Maybe you knew her," I watch Jane's expression seeing it fall slightly before Carlisle spoke up saving her ego.

   "If the Volturi had knowledge of Victoria they would've stopped her," He looks back at me before looking at Jane "Isn't that right Jane," He prompts the blond who agrees without a second thought.

   "Of course," She speaks her gaze transfixed on mine "Felix," She says and the large vampire approached Esme tries again.

   "She didn't know what she was doing, we'll take responsibility for her," She basically begs but Jane wasn't about to give us that victory as well.

   "Give her a chance," Carlisle speaks up in defense of his wife Jane showed no thought of agreeing. I looked at the girl with apologetic eyes. I could tell she understood but didn't fight fate quickly approaching her.

    "The Volturi doesn't give second chances," Jane speaks looking at myself and Bella "Keep that in mind. Caius will be interested to know she's still human," A smile playing on her lips

   "The dates set," My human sister spoke wiping the smugness from the witch's face.

   "Take care of that Felix, I'd like to go home," Felix approaches and we don't stop him

   "Close your eyes, Bree. It'll be quick I promise," I whispered her lip quivered and her eyes shut as Felix tears her apart mercilessly and I lean into Jasper sadness knawing at me knowing that girl had done nothing to deserve this life and yet her fate was so evil.