54

Carlisle steps forward to address the Volturi

   Carlisle steps forward to address the Volturi. "Aro," Carlisle addresses, "Let us discuss things as we used to," He starts, his voice soft, nonthreatening. My eyes flicker from each member of the guard trying analyze their weakest points. I caught a few members staring at me with interest only to glance away, fear fresh in their eyes when I looked at them. I knew it was from my powers trying to protect me but god did it feel good. "In a civilized manner,"

   "Fair word, Carlisle," Aro speaks, "But a little out-of-place given the battalion you've assembled against us," I roll my eyes

   "I can promise you, that was never my intent," Carlisle reassures, "No laws have been broken," I see Aro and Cauis' eyes advert to Renesmee.

   "We see the child, do not treat us as fools," Caius spits I snarl and his eyes snap to me with the same expression on his face. I do not drop my glare, but he looks away.

   "She is not an immortal!" Carlisle yells, "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks,"

   "Artifice!" Caius calls

   "I will collect every facet of the truth," Aro silences Caius. "But from someone more central to the story," His eyes go to Edward, "Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you're involved," Aro puts out his hand for Edward, who concedes and starts heading toward the Volturi king. Bella switches Renesmee to the other side, closer to Jacob and I. We all watch painstakingly as Edward approaches Aro. I watch Jane's face lift in her smirk, I immediately look at Bella, who starts to cover him only for him to get out of her range. Aro takes Edward's hand and for a moment his smile drops. He knew the truth now, but I could see this wasn't over. His eyes go back toward us, before back at Edward. "I would like to meet her," Aro says and I stop breathing for a moment. Edward looks back at us. I look over to my sister whose eyes are pleading before detaching myself from Jasper and joining her side, directly behind me follows Emmett and Jacob. I took Renesmee's other free hand walking toward the Volturi kings with a glare itched into my face. "Ahh, young Bella, immortality becomes you," Aro suddenly lets out a high-pitched laugh, "I hear her strange heart!" He says

   I let go of her hand moving back to stand next to Emmett, and Bella looks down at her daughter, her expression, pained. She allows Renesmee to walk toward Aro, who had his hand outstretched. "Hello Aro," She speaks, she glances at his hand put doesn't take it. Instead, puts her hand on his cheek showing him her memories.

   "Magnifico," Aro comments, pulling away from her touch. "Half mortal, half immortal," Bella immediately pulls her daughter toward her, "Conceived and carried by this newborn, while she was still human,"

   "Impossible!" Caius speaks up and Aro turns to his brother.

   "Do you think they fooled me brother?" He asks his brother who doesn't answer knowing his place. We take this time to head back to our side of the field. Jacob growls once at them before turning back to us and heading back with us.

   "Bring the informer forward," Caius orders and suddenly the entire guard head forward at his command. "Is that the child you saw?" He questions the blonde

   "I... I'm not sure," She answers looking down at the snow

   "Jane," Caius speaks, and Irina is quick to speak again

   "She's changed," Irina says, with honesty stopping Jane from preforming her tricks on her, "This child is bigger,"

   "Then your allegations are false," Caius says his eyes narrowing

   "The Cullens are innocent," She says, looking back at her sisters, "I take full responsibility for my mistake!" She raises her voice slightly, she looks at her sisters again mouthing an apology. My stomach fills again and I tense, her death was approaching.

   "Caius no!" Edward reacts and Bella pulls Renesmee to her to keep her from viewing the death of our cousin. Suddenly Irina is without her head and the Denalis react in grief for their sister. Bella lifts Renesmee on Jacob's back as we tried to get our side back in line. "Blind them!" I grab Tanya and Garrett fights Kate's electric touch.

   "Give me my sight back," Tanya orders

   "Tanya, this is what they want. You attack now, we'll all die," Zafrina returns their sight, and they calm down. Grief still obviously affecting them. Caius looked disappointed that we didn't attack. I release Tanya and so does Emmett, who was helping me restrain her.  Edward steps forward and Aro looks at Jane.

   "Pain," You hear her whisper and suddenly Edward falls to his knees. Bella steps forward and I could feel the cool presence of her shield extending off of my skin, I knew she was protecting our group. Jane's eyes flick to different members of our group, only to find her power is basically useless, I see her growl and try to advance only to be stopped by Alec.

   "It's working," Edward whispers joining Bella. I look at Jasper, who took my hand again as stared ahead. I watch Alec try to extend his vapor, but Aro stops him.

   "Aro you see, there's no law that has been broken here," Carlisle speaks again.

   "Agreed," Aro says, "But does it then follow, that there is no danger?" He turns addressing his witnesses trying to scare them onto his side. "For the first time in our history, humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us," He turns to look at us. "Maintaining our secret, has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe," I watch Cauis' face twist in satisfaction, "Only the known is tolerable, and we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves the fight today, only to die tomorrow," Suddenly Edward looks up and I do too.

   "Alice," He whispers just as Aro does the same. Alice and Noah joined us in the field. I knew that this meant her plan was in place.