52

Our happy Christmas time didn't last, we soon found ourselves in the mountains waiting for the morning when we knew the Volturi would arrive

Our happy Christmas time didn't last, we soon found ourselves in the mountains waiting for the morning when we knew the Volturi would arrive. I watch Jacob gather wood for a fire that would only benefit him and Renesmee. Benjamin lifts a hand, his finger lighting red with fire, which he directed toward the wood which lit quickly with the fire. "That's what I'm talking about," Jacob said, moving to sit on the log, Benjamin joining him. "A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories, or just standing there like freaking statues." I chuckle moving with Jasper to sit on a log, I found myself perched on his lap. A vampire sped to sit.

"Name any American battle. I was there," Garret said

"Little big horn,"Jacob guessed

"I can this close to biting Custer, but the natives got him first," He says, putting his fingers together to show how close he was. Kate speeds onto his lap.

"Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople, he didn't win that one himself," She says, and I smile

"If you're talking battles, you're talking the 11 years' war. No one does rebellion like the Irish,"

"Didn't you lose that one?" I ask through a snort of laughter knowing the answer.

"Aye, but it was a hell of a rebellion," I laugh more people joined us, and soon everyone was around the fire.

"When we ruled, everything came to us," Vladimir shares, "Prey, diplomats, favor seekers. Such was our power, but we never put on white hats and called ourselves saints,"

"We were honest about what we were," Stefan chimes in

"We sat still for a very long time, we didn't notice that we'd beginning to petrify," Vladmir looks to his coven mate.

"Perhaps the Volturi did us a favor when they burned our castles," Stefan states

"We've been waiting 1,500 years to return that favor," We all sit in silence for a few minutes taking in the story they'd told us. I look at Jasper feeling the same forboding feeling I knew he felt. This story seemed to mark how people were going to feel tomorrow. I sigh feeling Jasper kiss the crook of my neck as more people shared stories from their pasts.