Chapter 6 - "Something the matter Rose?"

Lukas

Pounding music took over my brain and my thoughts were scattered in some places and all to clear in others. The world around me was so vivid with it's bright lights and loud music and laughter. I had danced a bit with Rose but the party was mainly chatting with mates and setting people up with each other. I swished my blond hair around until it was appropriately messy and freed from the gel I had put in it. Suddenly "I write Sins Not Tragedies" came on and there was a surge to the dance floor. I ran up and began jumping around with my mates. I looked around and saw Eve in a black mini dress very similar to Rose's, dancing a little too close to me. I looked around to see Rose but there was no sign of her.

"What are you doing?" I asked, deciding not to bother with politeness. Eve looked up at me, twirling her hair around her fingers.

"Trying to make you realise you miss me. Is it working?" Eve said, smiling, stepping closer to me. I pushed her back softly.

"No. How many clues do you need that I'm over you?" I said half-heartedly. Yeah, Eve was cute, but I couldn't be bothered to break up with Rose on the first day of the school year. Eve stepped closer, swinging her hair around and pulling me in to dance. On second thought, maybe I could be bothered. She looked up at me, an eyebrow raised.

"I think you're going to need to give me a few more dances – and a few more clues." She said, smirking. I sighed, giving up. I'd just have to deal with Rose. That was how we worked. We always broke up, had a massive, dramatic fight in public, and laughed about it later. It was fun, and a little exhilarating, and helped us from getting too bored of one another and giving people just enough hope that they could date us to keep us popular. Besides, Eve wasn't exactly ugly, or stupid. I danced closer to her, just in time to hear a scream.

Lukas!" Rose shrieked, glaring at me. Eve back away and turned to Rose.

"What are you doing?" She asked me, just in time for Eve to sweep an arm around my neck and kiss my cheek.

"Something the matter Rose?" She asked sweetly. Rose rolled her eyes.

"Yeah. The fact that you're a cheap rip-off of me and the fact that you're dancing with my boyfriend." Rose answered, crossing her arms. Rose's friends, Katie and Saya walked up behind Rose, inspecting Eve dismissively. Eve nodded, seemingly not caring.

"You think so? Well here's what I think. Your boyfriend is bored of you, and all of your stupid dramatics, and decided to be interested in a girl who's prettier, smarter and less of a babbling blonde idiot than you are." Eve shot back. Rose rolled her eyes.

"Real original Eve. Did you get that one through Google or did you come up with it all by yourself?" Rose snapped. Eve shrugged, smiling evilly.

"Or, I don't know – maybe he'd just interested in a girl without an AWOL brother and parents with faces so fake they could be barbie dolls." Eve said lightly, forcing a fake smile. Rose stepped back, gulping, and looked at me.

"Lukas. Don't do this." She warned me. I looked to Eve, and back to Rose.

"Rose?" I asked. Rose smiled smugly at Eve, like I was a prize two children were fighting over and she'd just won the fight. The movement sent a flash of anger through me and I began to speak again, my words laced with venom.

"It's over." I announced, turning to Eve, before looking back over my shoulder at an upset Rose.

"Love you babe!" I joked, blowing a kiss at Rose as Eve dissolved into laughter. I offered my arms to Eve.

"Shall we dance?"

Jake

I hadn't noticed what was happening until I heard Rose scream. Startled, I turned around and saw Eve and Lukas break away from dancing and Rose glaring hatefully at the pair. Throughout the all too familiar scene I was irritated and just over the whole thing. Lukas had dumped his girlfriends in public before, often in a suave and smooth manner but the fact that Lukas just didn't care never ceased to amaze me. He moved on from one girl to the next without a care or a thought of their emotions or any consequences. It wasn't that Eve wasn't good looking, the fact of which Lukas normally bases his choice of girlfriend on. She had auburn hair and catlike green eyes much like Rose's eyes. She also had a sense of humour and quick wit that made Lukas more than impartial to her. It was just how brutally he had dumped Rose, who he said he loved, when she was so clearly hurt and upset by what Eve had said. I had just gathered my head when Rose walked off surrounded by her attentive friends, fussing over her. I felt a pang of guilt in my heart and hurried after her.

"Rose, wait!" I called and she paused and turned around, her dress spinning around her. I could see that she was crying, although she made an effort to cover up the tears.

"I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry about how that happened, and to ignore what they both did. We both know how much of an idiot Lukas can be sometimes, and Eve is basically just a cheap copy of you." I exclaimed, my heart pounding. I'd never done anything like it before. I'd never even spoken against Lukas, not when it came to Rose anyway. Rose frowned, observing my flushed cheeks, and began to smile, tucking a perfect curl behind her ear. She walked forward purposefully, before putting her hands on my shoulders.

"Thank you!" She whispered into my ear, sending goose bumps crawling up my spine. I didn't move as I watched Rose disappear into the darkness with her friends, smiling slightly. I should feel bad. I was about to betray Lukas, I was, just by talking to Rose. But, I didn't feel scared. In fact, I didn't feel any remorse at all. I just felt joy.