Chapter 15 - "I wish I had."

Emma

"I want to see Harry!"

"I know."

"No! You don't understand. I need to see him."

"So?"

"You need to take me to him like you said."

"I will."

I had never seen Elle like this before, there was a vacancy in her eyes and a hollow edge to her voice. I'd never seen myself like this before either, eyes wide with desperation and body slack with sleep deprivation. I supposed it was a time for changes. I cleared my throat again and the soft, wavering voice filled the air again,

"How do I see him? How can I know he's okay?" I asked. Elle stared gravely at the floor,

"I have a way, you won't like it, but if you really want to see him...I can get you there."

"Why?" I asked. A wry smile came to Elle's lips.

"Let's just say I've had my fair share of people I've cared about in hospital."

"And?"

"I didn't visit them."

"But?"

"I wish I had."

My black heels clicked on the linoleum floor and I pursed my red-painted lips.

"Turn left and then go up two flights of stairs, it's the third room in the hall." Elle murmured to me, her typically school uniform clad body now sporting a cherry-red suit and a soft white shirt. I was wearing my navy jumpsuit and a cream coloured scarf, trying to emulate the clothing I'd seen my parents wear.

"How do you know where he is?" I asked Elle.

"Wanting to be a medical school student has it's perks. Besides, I guess I have some "connections"." Elle said lightly, only half joking.. I smiled and turned my gaze to the corridor ahead, the sterile lights and gleaming white walls only worsening my headache..

When I stepped into the third room on the third floor of the hospital, my mouth dropped open and I had to fight from screaming. I clenched my jaw tight, my eyes wide, frozen in panic until Elle took my hand. And then, I started freaking out.

"Harry!" I murmured his name again and again and again, unable to do anything else. Seeing Harry, hooked up to so many tubes and machines was so, so frightening. His entire body, except for his neck and head was covered by a sheet and his neck was in a neck brace. I stood there, shaking in fear hen Harry opened his eyes slowly, as if he was summoned by my whispers.

"Harry!" I said, screamed, shouted, I didn't know, didn't care about anything except the fact that Harry was awake and alive! I ran to his side and flopped in the empty chair next to him grasping his hand before trying to maintain some of my composure. I was Emma Winter, and I did not freak out.

"Harry, I tried to visit you but I wasn't allowed to. I'm sorry. Can you remember what happened? If you do, it'll be easier to get out of here.-" I needed to speak quickly, to get answers so he could get out of here. Harry just stared at me blankly and I swallowed my panic. Why wasn't he answering?

"Emma, we need to go!" My heart stopped. I shook my head, frowning.

"We can't." There was no way that I was leaving Harry, not in this state, not at all. It didn't make any sense, and I was nothing if not a logical person. Elle's expression was pained, as if it were hurting her to say it but she continued,

"Emma, we had a promise!" she reminded me,

"You can see him again later." I frowned, feeling the urge to start crying, which would have been stupid and pointless. I clenched my jaw, lifted my head and stared into Harry's eyes, asking him a question. The corners of his mouth curled upwards and then immediately grimaced, as if that simple action had brought him great pain. I held Harry's hands tighter before he flicked his eyes to the door as if to say "Go on then, she's waiting, I'll still be here when you come back-" He frowned slightly, "-Hopefully." I glared into his eyes, my expression speaking for itself; 'You'd better be here when I get back." There was an alarmed looks in his eyes, as if imaging what hell I'd raise if I'd come back and he wasn't okay or awake. I stood up and joined Elle, reluctantly and walked out of the room, glancing over my shoulder to see if he was alright.