Chapter 24 - "You sure seem like you want to fix me"

Rose

I was thrilled. I'd gotten rid of Lily, fooled Tom into thinking I was on his side and I still had Lukas. I hadn't bothered to go back to class, certain that someone would cover me. Instead, I lay on the couch, watched TV and ate chocolate. I was only a couple of minutes into my second episode and only five chocolates into my chocolate box when I realised I needed to control Tom further. If I left him alone, eventually, he'd just through me under the bus. Sighing, I packed away the chocolate, turned the TV off, and slipped a white jacket on over my school uniform, before twisting my hair up in a ponytail. I passed Millie on the way to Tom's dorm, and she glared at me. Rolling my eyes, I stared back at her, unapologetic, and walked into Tom's dorm. I was too busy to bother with another person judging me or sneering at me through thinned lips. It was Prepsworth, and the time to be nice was long over. I sat down on the corner of the couch, looking around the d the empty dorm. It had almost been five minutes when Tom walked, his gaze expectant, and, as it landed on me, triumphant. I bit back a grimace as I stood to greet him.

"You pulled off quite the stunt." Tom commented.

"Well, you were the one who recorded your ex girlfriends biggest secret and then gave it to me to broadcast to the world." I said lightly. Tom looked confused, and I had to remind myself to be charming and sweet, not harsh.

"It wasn't fair how Lily lied to you all those years that you were together. I felt bad for you." I explained, smiling widely.

"Thanks." Tom said briefly, and I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows. Man of few words, are we? Tom noticed my face and sighed.

"I'll get straight to the point. You don't like me, not that much anyway, but, if we worked together, we could rule this school." Tom suggested. I kept my gaze neutral, but interested.

"Work together how?" I asked.

"If we pretend we're dating, it will seem more genuine. Besides, you can still keep seeing Lukas on the side." Tom elaborated. I sighed, frowning, before looking up at Tom.

"If you think it will work - I'm in." I said. Tom smiled harshly, and he gave me a brief nod before walking out. As he left, I followed after him, before slipping outside the door. I smiled up at the perfect blue sky, eyes's bright. After all, Tom had been just as easy to manipulate as I had thought.

Jake

I was strolling to my dorm to sit down and read Rose's diary in peace when an arm grabbed me and spun me around and I found myself staring into Amy's impossibly blue, and admittedly cold eyes.

"I thought you were disgusted and wanted nothing to do with me." I said in greeting. Amy eye's narrowed and I smiled further.

"I felt bad." Amy explained, her gaze unflinching. I couldn't old back my laugh, my eyes shining with bitter merriment.

"You felt bad for me? How selfless of you." I said sarcastically. Amy looked ready to turn around, but she clenched her jaw and returned my glare.

"You've been through a lot, and you're not yourself. I wanted to make sure that you were okay." Amy said. I laughed again, the sound grating harshly across my ears.

"I'm 'not myself?". You don't even know who I am. I don't need your pity." I snapped. "But you do, otherwise you'll lash out and get yourself expelled. You need to get a grip Jake, before you mess things up for everyone." Amy shot back. I stepped back, trying to keep my expression neutral.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." I repeated, trying to make myself believe it, but I knew I couldn't. I was full of hatred, full of anger, and I couldn't escape it. But just because it was "bad" didn't mean I didnt't want to stay that way.. Being cold-hearted was better than being hopelessly idealistic anyway.