Chapter 23 - "What if I want to be everything at once?"

Lily

Rose was sick, in more ways than one and I couldn't help but pity her, after everything she had face. However, she had also publicly outed me lesbian, which was something that I would have to announce later but, not it that way. It should've been my choice, not Rose's or Tom's. Truth was, I didn't even know who I was. My so called friends were still ignoring me and shooting each other disgusted looks whenever they thought I wasn't looking. I was torn between the two sides of Rose; the mean, manipulative and evil queen bee and the broken, sick girl putting up a fake face to hide her tears. Rose had always been nice(ish) to me whilst I was popular and dating Tom, but the second she found out something about t me that could ruin my life, she used it against me. Oh, and my ex-boyfriend helped too.

"I have such a great taste in people!" I murmured under my breath as I strode to one of the basketball courts, a basketball tucked under my arm, my hands inexplicably stinging. Sure, Rose was sick but she had also ruined too many people's lives to forgive her. Maybe it was time to take a stand, but, I didn't want to be a part of that. It turned out that getting revenge on Rose was more heart-breaking than I'd thought. Maybe I just wasn't strong enough. I bounced the basketball across the asphalt absent-mindedly, before easily tossing the basketball through the hoop, and running forward to get it. The movement should've been familiar and comforting, but instead it felt boring and awkward. I stepped back from the hoop, trying to challenge myself, to do something interesting. I stood at half-court, my arms outstretched, and was about was about to score when I heard footsteps behind me. I twisted around quickly, clutching the basketball to my chest.

"What do you want?" I blurted out, my eyes wide. Millie raised her hands up and took a step back..

"You disappeared. I wanted to make sure you were okay." Millie said. I blinked, before dropping the basketball and stepping back.

"I'm so sorry. I just thought it was someone else. It's been a tough day." I said, shocked. Millie bent down and scooped up the basketball, before passing it towards me.

"Want to talk about it?" Millie asked. I sighed, tossing the ball up in the air before catching it and throwing it to Millie. I did want to talk about it, but, I barely knew Millie and I didn't want to her her what we had done, what I had done.

"It's difficult to explain." I said, avoiding Millie's gaze.

"What if I ask you questions, and you can answer them to whatever degree you want to?" Millie suggested. I nodded, before pausing.

"Why?" I said bluntly.

"Why, what?"

"Why are you helping me? I barely know you, but you've been so nice." I said honestly.

"I thought I was supposed to be the one asking questions." Millie said lightly. Upon my insistent look, Millie frowned, thinking for a moment.

'"What happened to you was awful, and, I don't want you to face that alone. So, if your friends aren't there for you, I may as well be." Millie replied. I felt myself smiling, and, in response, Millie smiled too.,.

"Here's how this is going to work: I'll ask a questions, then throw the basketball to you. Once you've finished answering, or if you don't want to answer the question any further, then throw it back to me Then, if you want, I can advise you on what to do. Okay?" Millie said. I smiled again, despite myself is myself.

"What is it?" Millie asked lightly.

"You're good at this - helping people." I explained.

"We haven't even started yet." Millie objected, but a smile crept across her face.