Chapter 72 - "Rae?"

Jake

I sat down on a scorched boulder and watched the highway for any "suspicious" cars. Rose awkwardly stood near me.

"You know that Lily and everyone's just wasting their time. You could tell everyone the truth and then we'd all be happy and free and normal." I murmured to Rose.

"Not without Lukas. Besides, it's more complicated than that." Rose answered dismissively.

"I'm sure it is." I replied sarcastically. Rose rolled her eyes and glared at me, as was typical of her.

"I wouldn't expect you to understand. The second you don't get what you want you explode!" Rose snapped back. I smirked back at her.

"Still holding a grudge, are we?" I asked mockingly.

"Just because I'm not dating Lukas doesn't mean I don't care about him." Rose replied. I started laughing.

"That's so you Rose. Hurting someone then trying to protect yourself using them. You manipulate people to worship you and trust you but it's all a lie. Either you love Lukas or you don't. There's no in-between." I said, still laughing.

"What? Are you still upset that I dumped you for Lukas?" Rose began, and then it was her turn to start laughing.

"That's it! That's the reason you became all moody and bitter, or tried to. Because you were sick of playing second best! And that's the very thing that made you come second best with Amy!" Rose exclaimed.

"Well, it's who I am now. And you know what? You did that. So you can drop the ever so pious act. Everyone sees right through you." I snapped. Rose perched on the rock near me and glared at me.

"What do you want? An apology? I can do that, but it wouldn't be genuine." Rose replied.

"I don't want an apology, I just want to know why! Why wasn't I good enough?" I demanded.

"Because it wasn't meant to be. But you and Amy are meant to be. So tell her!" Rose implored me.

"Tell her what?" I asked irritably. Rose laughed and stood back up.

"Tell her that you love her, of course."

Harry

I stared at the debris scattered around the charcoal – coloured ground.

"There's not much we can do, is there?" I asked helplessly. Millie shook her head and sat down.

"Sit here. I need to talk to you." Millie said. I obliged, and sat crossed legged next to Millie.

"Why are you here?" Millie asked softly, but abruptly. I frowned as I contemplated the question.

"To keep my girlfriend out of jail." I answered fairly quickly.

"Same." Millie answered, a hint of a smile on her face. The smile quickly disappeared as she stared around.

"Now why do you think everyone else is here?" I paused for a second, looking around the desolate area.

"Jake's here for Amy. Lily originally started this for Amy, but now is caught up on finding the truth. Elle's here because, well, I guess because Rose is here and to find out the truth. Natasha's here to find out the truth and write an article for any newspaper. Dylan is probably here to try to be a good person, turn over a new leaf, that kind of thing. That just leaves Tom and Rose's reasons to be here." I mused, thinking it over. Millie smiled at me, and nodded at my logic.

"You're right, except for one thing. Dylan's here for Elle." Millie said. I stared at Millie in shock.

"What? Are you kidding?" I exclaimed, looking over at Dylan and Elle.