Chapter 62 - "What is it with random boys interrupting cheer practice?"

Lukas

"Knock knock." I said light-heartedly as I walked into the middle of the cheer practice. The cheer team paused and I heard Rose sighing.

"What is it with random boys interrupting cheer practice?" Rose exclaimed. I glared at her.

"I need Amy." I said, turning away from Rose.

"Well so do I, if you wanted to spend time with her you should've auditioned for the cheer team." Rose snapped.

"But then I'd have to spend time with you." I replied coldly. Rose stiffened slightly and looked over to Amy.

"Amy, what are you going to do? Because let me tell you right now, if you walk out of cheer practice you will not walk back in." Rose said harshly. Amy looked shocked and I turned and glared at Rose.

"Amy, come on." I coaxed, smiling warmly. Rose was shaking out of anger and Elle was comforting her behind me.

"You really want to stay here, with these people? You wouldn't believe the secrets Rose had spilled about them. You wouldn't believe the secrets I know about Rose." I said, more for Rose's benefit than for Amy's. I heard Lily cough Nancy under her breath and saw Saya elbow her lightly.

"You wouldn't dare." Rose hissed, taking a step forward. I wouldn't. Spilling Rose's darkest secret would incriminate us in the fire, and that was the last thing I wanted ... but Rose didn't know that.

"How about you take another step forward and you'll see exactly how much I mean it." I snapped.

"I'm going to leave now Amy, and you're following me, or I will show you pain beyond what you could even imagine." I whispered to Amy, taking Amy's hand and flashing her my most charming smile. Amy took a step forward, and then another, and then another. I turned to smirk triumphantly at Rose, but just as I was turning around Elle kicked me full force in the stomach.

"Get away from her." She said venomously as I stumbled back, winded and struggling to stand. I still managed to grin at her, hunched over.

"Has Rose been teaching you her moves? I guess it's cute you found a new person to latch on to." I said, gasping for air but maintaining my bitter gaze.

"Says you." Elle snapped and Rose kicked me in my side, the same side where my ribs had just healed from Jake's crazy attack. Pain lanced through my torso and I fell back, fighting the urge to close my eyes and curl up. Rose walked up to me and pushed her knee in my stomach, leaning over my head.

"Leave Amy alone. If you lay one finger on her I will make you pay. If you make her cry a single tear you will finally know what true pain is. Let go of the past Lukas." Rose whispered, meeting my eyes.

"I can't." I whispered helplessly. And then the world went black.

Elle

"Amy, what are you going to do? Because let me tell you right now, if you walk out of cheer practice you will not walk back in." Rose snapped, her hands clenched into fists at her side, her knuckles white. I took her hand and forced her to relax her hand. I wanted to tell her that it was okay but Lukas was advancing towards Amy, his face twisted with hatred. What happened next was almost in slow motion.

I saw Lukas whisper something to Amy, before taking her hand harshly. I saw Amy's eyes widen in fear and then Rose starting shaking, and I could tell it wasn't out of anger. It was because he was manipulating Amy, making her think he was the good guy. And also partly because that was the way he'd been with Rose, using her, threatening her and then professing his love for her, reeling her back in. Rose gripped my hand like it was a lone lifeboat in a isolated, freezing ocean. I couldn't let Rose shed any more tears, couldn't let Amy be manipulated and twisted. Almost without thinking, I swung my foot around and smashed it into his stomach hearing the impact of my foot against his ribs. Lukas cried out and stumbled backwards as I stalked towards him, seeing red. He couldn't hurt any more people, I wouldn't let him. I couldn't let him. I knew I should've been freaking out because I'd just kicked someone, kicked Lukas Kane of all people, but I was deadly calm.