Chapter 30 - "See? Not everyone likes soccer."

2 Weeks Later

Elle

The world was, in some ways the same and in some ways different , Not that any of that was to my detriment. I worked hard in class and wasn't bothered by the "punishment" for all that had happened. They couldn't exactly tell Rose and her friends to go to bed at ten thirty so they made sure no one left their dorms after nine. I knew that some people still snuck out anyway, and often got caught. It didn't bother me. Nothing much bothered me. The craziness of that first week was long forgotten, a distant, embarrassing memory, but nothing more. I'd just briefly slipped up, had forgotten myself, had forgotten my place. I had to ensure I wouldn't do so again. Thoughts of Adelaide flitted through my head, painful and harsh, but I ignored them, and gradually, they lessened. I occasionally thought of Dylan, but I ignored those thoughts too, and they lessened as well. Still, it wasn't enough. So, in order to restore myself to my previous state of mind, I distanced myself, like I always had. I'd never been social, and why would I suddenly need to be so? I wasn't stranded or isolated, I was solitary and independent. I I didn't need anyone and if I thought about anyone too much, I could easily just push the thoughts away, for my own sake. It was no great feat, for the reason that anyone never paid attention to me either. And so, I soldiered on, like I had always done. Like I would continue to do. I told myself that I wasn't hurt, or upset. After all, that was what I was supposed to do. I was Elle Guerreo Espanzera, and my mind did not dwell on certain people, or certain things. I moved forward, just like everyone else had done. And, I locked away my hurt, in a deep, dark cage where no one could find it.

Lily

To put it simply, life sucked. The majority of my previously kind friends where still avoiding me, only acknowledging me through a furtive wave, or, most frequently, not at all.. Tom was still blanking me full on, purposefully ignoring my entire existence. It wasn't that great of a loss. In my social isolation, I had taken to spending time with Millie and my friend Karlie, who was my only friend that hadn't denied my existence.

I was sitting in the middle of the maze with Amelia and Karlie, talking about cheer tryouts and the upcoming soccer tryouts.

"You should try out for soccer!" I suggested to Millie. Millie looked up, a grimace on her face.

"I don't think so. I'm not really a soccer person." Millie said, wincing at the word soccer. Karlie raised an eyebrow at Millie's obvious disgust.

"You really hate it that much?" Karlie asked. Millie nodded emphatically.

"Last time I played, I tripped over the ball and sprained my ankle. Besides, I prefer ... not soccer." Millie said. Karlie laughed and elbowed me.

"See? Not everyone likes soccer." She said pointedly, before turning to Millie.

"In Year Eight, she tried all year to get me to sign up for soccer tryouts, and when I didn't, she made me go with her to every soccer game." Karlie explained, wincing at the memory.

"I was trying to get brownie points so I could become team captain." I explained further. Millie eyes lit up with recognition.

"You're the captain of Team A, right?" Millie asked. I nodded.

"Since Year Nine. Turns out I didn't need you after all." I said, elbowing Karlie back. Karlie scoffed, flipping her blonde ponytail over her shoulder.

"It would be great if you could've realised that before dragged me along to all of the games." I shrugged, smiling innocently.

"You live and you learn." I said, earning an eyeroll from Karlie.

"Whilst we're on the subject of tryouts, I'm going to try out for the cheer team." Millie said, sounding slightly nervous. It was suddenly quiet, all of the fun and teasing atmosphere gone.