Chapter 67 - "For however long it takes for us to hate one another."

Emma

I stared out at the concrete-grey world, blurred by streaks of rain down my windowsill. The car was silent and in that moment I was so utterly, hopelessly lost. And cold. I knew if Harry was there sitting beside me he'd joke around with me until I was laughing helplessly, and give me his jacket or something else equally chivalrous with an exaggerated bow. I could see him grinning softly at me from the middle seat in that stupid way he did sometimes, like he was happy just being with me. Like he was hopelessly in love with me. I blinked at the thought, Harry couldn't like me that much, it was impossible. He was the type to be devoted without being fully committed. I knew this, and hated it more than anything. I'd thought about telling him when I was being dragged away, but it seemed to cruel, too insincere. Like I was just trying to add drama to an already drama filled moment. And I know he didn't feel that way about me, even if he thought he did. Besides, I could seem to get the words to form on my lips. I smiled at him, sitting next to me.

"I heard a joke about the food in prison –" Harry began.

"Don't even start!" I exclaimed.

"Okay, Emma, I have to tell you something." Harry said, suddenly serious.

"Me too." I interrupted, drawing a swell of strength.

"I – " Harry began. My heart froze and I reached for his hand, my breath caught in my throat. But there was nothing there. I looked up, panicking. Harry was smiling sadly at me.

"No, Harry – please don't go! I can't su –" I cried out. Harry had disappeared, in his place was an cold, empty seat.

A tear fell down my cheek and plopped into my lap. I sighed and turned back to window and the grey-streaked world outside it. It was my world now.

Elle

It was horrifying, seeing Harry Ryan so desperate and reckless. And finding out that Emma had set the house on fire? That was a whole new level. But did I believe her? Not at all. It seemed as though one moment, we'd all been rejoicing in the glory of the first game of the year; and the next; Emma was arrested and Harry was inconsolable. The whispers started immediately, of course. It was Prepsworth. But seeing Harry lying heartbroken on the floor, without any hope; it seemed like the worse thing in the world to turn to someone and start gossiping. So when I heard some girl talking about how strange Emma was; I snapped.

"Shut up – all of you! You think this is fun? That you can all immediately start gossiping? Well, I have I got news for you! None of this is funny! You don't have the right to even whisper Emma Winters' name let alone gossip about her. Because I see nothing gossip worthy about this!" I yelled, pointing to Harry at the end of my speech. It was abruptly quiet and the mood shifted to embarrassed and ashamed.

I saw people shuffling their feet awkwardly and rolling their eyes, but I didn't care. At least I'd gotten them to shut up.

"Thank you Elle. Now I expect everyone back in their dorms right now! Darsville Grammar, we'll see you out." Coach Rana announced. There was a second of silence, before Coach Rana screamed,

"Now!" And everyone scrambled to get back. I searched through the throng of people to find Rose and found her with a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Should we help him?" I asked, unsure. I didn't want to make things worse. Jake looked up and gave me an sympathetic smile.

"I'll deal with it." Jake answered. I nodded and started walking towards our dorm. Rose caught up with me.

"You're not going to be able to sleep, are you?" Rose said immediately. I gave her a grim smile.