Chapter 75 - "Let them go."

RoseI foldedmy arms and stared at my brother, who was sitting across from me, hisexpression undecipherable."I guessyou've finished interviewing Elle." I said blandly, trailing my fingers acrossthe tabletop."Yes, andDylan too. Now, I need you to answer some questions for me." Aiden said. Ilaughed coldly."No, mefirst." I said venomously, my face contorted with disgust at him."You knewshe was bad. You knew I'd helped you, and others. But you didn't help me, oranyone. You ran away. You left us.You left me." I continued, my voiceoriginally small and hollow, growing to shout. Before I knew it, I wasstanding, my face like thunder. Aiden tilted his chair back and raised hishands."And whatcan I do about it now?" He asked coldly. I stared at him, gathering all mycourage and hurt."Help us.Help us now and your debt is forgotten and I swear I will never talk to you again if you don't want me to. Iwill make sure that all your past mistakes are gone from your life, includingme. " I said, not begging him but telling him. My voice rang out stronglyacross the room as my eyes cut into him, as sharp as glass."I can'thelp you. But I have enough evidence to clear you all." Aiden said flatly. Ididn't bother with a thank you, I just walked straight out the door. Yes, I'dgotten us all free, but it'd only confirmed my suspicions that Aiden wantednothing to do with me anymore. Wanted nothing to do with his posturing, cruelfamily and his broken, cold little sister. I knew what I had to do next. I hadto tell the truth.LukasI'd racedto the place where the house had been, only to be too late. As I waited outsidethe interrogation rooms, I felt dizzy and sick. I could barely remember why Iwas there. I watched Amy and Jake walk together, happy and didn't feel a thing?Why had I kept her as my puppet? In my sick, desperate state, everything I'ddone seemed incomprehensible to me. But I'd done it. So, why? I slumped againsta wall and closed my eyes, hoping, praying that the darkness of sleep wouldcome and wash away all my pain. I breathed in a lungful of air, soothing my lungs.And then – sleep. "So, what's yourfavourite thing to do?" I asked, throwing a rock into the lake and watching theripples echo across the pristine water."I don't know.Everything. Nothing." Rose answered with a sigh. I smiled at her. She looked soyoung then, so different. So vibrant. Then again, so did I. "Everything andnothing. That's the best answer I've heard yet." I mused. Rose crossed her legsand stared out at the water."Are you really asmuch of a jerk as you seem?" She asked. I gave an unexpected laugh."Yes and no." I said,echoing Rose's style of answer."Yes and no. That'sthe best answer I've heard yet." Rose joked. I laughed and stood up."Dance with me?" Iasked. Rose stood up and smiled at me,"As long as you'reokay with me just doing the worm on the floor." Rose joked, but took my hand.I'd had to take dancing lessons (My dad's idea, to help me appear more refinedat parties) and then, I ignored them all as I spun Rose around and dancedacross the dirt. We were being silly and having fun and being the kids we'dnever gotten the chance to be.The adrenaline from sneaking out was surgingthrough me and I laughed, finally happy. It didn't last long.JakeFrom thevery first time I'd seen Rose , I'd loved her. Now, looking at her now, as shewalked out of the interrogation room, I didn't care. I could be her friend, butnot if she didn't change. She was still cruel, still manipulative, still Rose.Those were exactly the things that I hated about Rose, and the things thatLukas loved. That spoke volumes about the difference between us. In hindsight,I don't why I fell for her. Maybe it was because she seemed so untouchable, soperfect. Maybe it was because I knew I could never have her. But I probably wasjust fooled by her, just like everyone else. At least she wasn't no longer pretending.Everyone knew who she really was. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing. Ithought about what Rose had said about me and about Amy. That I loved Amy. Ididn't want to think if it was true or not. Probably because I knew the truth.And I'd rebel against it as hard as I could.I waspreparing myself to go into the interrogation room when the door slammed openand Rose walked out, her face equal parts anger and sadness. She looked out atall of us sadly."You'reall free to go." She said flatly. The other officer: the redhead stared at us."What?You can't just leave! Who gave you clearance to go?" He stammered. The mainone, the blond one stepped out of the room."I did.Let them go." He said, equally as flatly as Rose."Thisisn't – " The redhead began before the other one cut him off."I havesufficient evidence. They're not going to be locked up for anything." The blondone replied shortly. I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't have to lie, or tellthe truth, both were equally bad news for me. But ... what had happened to putthat look on Rose's face. What had setting us all free cost her?EmmaMy backwas pressed hard against the wall and my head hurt from thinking. I'd beenthrough every possibility, wracked my brain for answers, but there was nothing.I glared at everyone who passed me by, my lips curled into a snarl. When Millercame by, I was a second away from leaping over and punching him through thebars. I expected him to gloat, or comment on the amount of dirt crusted onto myskin, but I certainly didn't expect him to unlock my cell door."You're afree woman Winter." He said, gesturing to the hallway."You'relying." I spat, forcing my face into the coldest expression possible."I don'tlie." Miller answered with a smirk. I ignored him and stood up, walking out, mygait slightly wobbly. I stared at Miller's face as I passed him before I turnedand saw another face. A familiar one. Ididn't say a word as Harry put his arm around me and helped me walk to theexit, my legs wobbly and tired from misuse. I ducked away from him and walkedon my own, tensing all of my muscles. I needed to do this by myself. I lookedaround at my classmates worn-out and defeated faces, desperately sad. I lookedat Harry last, only glancing. I couldn't bear to see his face, hurt anddesperate. It only reminded me of the night at the game. When he was screamingmy name. When I hallucinated him in the car, and he had a sad smile. When Ifirst met him, and he seemed so genuine, so kind. So sure that everything wouldturn out alright. But it didn't. It never did. Not for me, not for Harry, notfor anyone.I feeltears streaking through the dirt on my face and I don't bother to brush themout of the way as I enter the grey world, the sky cold and vicious. I paused asrain drips down my face, joining the tear streaks. It dripped down my down myneck, down my collarbone but I didn't move. The air and ran was so cold and soheavy that it hurt, and I was grateful for it. It cleansed me, of the dirt, of the hurt, of the memories. Ispread my arms wide, inviting the cold, harsh rain to cover me, to kill me, tocleanse me. The rain became more constant, colder, angrier, but I stayed,standing still, alone in a world of grey and rain.