Chapter 50 - "Let the night begin."

I was just talking to some of my friends, joking and laughing around, when Rose appeared behind me.

"I need to talk to you." Rose said, her voice low and serious.

"What is it?" I asked, frowning. Rose's gaze darted around.

"Not here." She whispered. I smirked, amused at Rose's apparent paranoia. Rose led me out to the garden, ducking behind a trellis.

"What's wrong?" I asked, all of my prior amusement gone. Rose stared at the ground.

"I haven't told you everything." Rose whispered, before looking up at me, blinking rapidly.

"What do you mean everything?" I asked, worried.

"I mean ... the most important parts of why we are doing this." Rose, her eyes wide, her words slow and disconnected.

"So, we aren't doing it for revenge?" I mused.

"No, it's still revenge, just on a larger scale." Rose answered softly.

"It's not about you and me and Jake and Amy anymore, is it? And it's not about all the others ... was it ever?" I asked, my voice rising. Rose shook her head, her expression desperate.

"I told you there were debts to be paid, didn't I? Well; there are many, many debts. And they are all connected." Rose said in a low voice.

"Tell me about them. About how you know, about what happened." I asked. Rose nodded her assent, shadows dancing across her face like flames.

'You know I am broken. I guess this is the story of why:" Rose began.

"A long time ago, too long ago, there was a little girl who wanted nothing more than to be like her brother." And Rose continued.

By the time Rose had finished her story I was burning with rage, my fists white from being clenched so hard. My eyes were dark, filled with anger. Rose regarded me sadly. My gaze turned cruel as I stared at the house behind us, my teeth turned into a snarl, dark and ferocious.

"Let the night begin." I whispered. And let the world burn.

Jake

Damn it. Rose had suckered us all in again. Again! How many times do you have to be hurt before you learn to walk away? I felt really bad for Elle but I'd seen Dylan before he kissed Rose. He was looking at Elle to see if she would ever look at him, accept how she felt for him. He was waiting for her to say "Don't do it.". I knew what it felt like to wait for someone. But there's a difference between a lost cause and a cause to fight for. And when Elle had finally looked up, it had been too late. I knew what it felt like to be too late for something too. So now we were all getting hurt by Rose again. But at least for now, we could pretend nothing had ever happened. Not the best coping mechanism, but it was all we had and the only one we were used to. I had my eyes closed and was lying back on a massive pool float, which Amy and Lily were also lounging across. It was pitch black and the only light came from the fairy lights strung over the pool. There were a few people at the other end of the pool, and people crowded next to it, but aside from us, the pool was nearly empty.

"So, Harry, when will you be able to join the soccer team?" Lily asked Harry, who was sitting with Emma on another pool float.

"Also, if anyone pushes me off this float they will find themselves the target of the splashing war of the century." Lily added with a pointed glare at Harry. Everyone laughed and Amy mimed pushing Lily off the float. Harry shrugged.
"Whenever I can run, I guess." He answered, frowning.

"But, until then, I will be taking his place on the team." Emma joked.

"Be aware all potential academic enemies, you will find yourself kicked the shins." I added, laughing.