Chapter 41 - "Excuse me, can I help you?"

Elle

I stared out at Prepsworth Academy, at my home of five years, at Adelaide's home too. Well, it had once been. I was contemplating all that had happened since the beginning of the year, weighing up my options when a boy sidled close to me. I swallowed my disgust and prayed that he would ignore me. I had absolutely zero interest in talking to one of Lukas' mindless minions. He looked at me as I watched the sunset, probably seeing whether or not I was worth his time. I could feel Dylan's ire and annoyance directed at my back, I could just imagine him scowling. I turned towards the nameless boy.

"Excuse me, can I help you?" I said in annoyance, wanting to get this over with. The boy gave a lazy half-smile and I froze. It was a weak, cowardly imitation of the mischievous half-smiles Dylan used to give me. My stomach dropped and I stiffened up, closing up inside. The boy leaned forward, a cruel smile on his face.

"Do you have a date to the party yet?" The boy whispered as he studied my face, assessing what my answer would be. I eyed him with a wary gaze, my lip curling in disgust. I knew him from a few brief interactions, were snickers of "nerd" were usually involved.

"And, are they ever going to be better than me?" the boy continued, still whispering. I forced myself to ignore him, sitting up straighter. I wasn't going to be affected by his words. The boy frowned, perhaps because of the total lack of impact that his awkward pick-up line or whatever it was had.

Suddenly the boy spoke up again, loudly this time.

"I know you've recently gone through a bad break-up but, why not try something new. Why not go out with me? C'mon, don't say no." The boy brought his leering face closer to mine and moved forward so I ignored the urge to punch him right there, that would do nothing. I was already on thin ice and a senseless, violent outburst was sure to get me in trouble from Principal Verne. Besides, I could feel the raw anger radiating from Dylan in waves and I could sense his hatred at the sleazy boy. I came up with some snarky come-back, a bit silly but laced with venom. I watched, satisfied as the boy crept away. I once again froze as I heard footsteps coming towards me.

Dylan Adams took a seat on the desk next to mine, a safe distance away.

"What do you want?" I asked flatly. Dylan's eyes, still laced with the promise of violence slid to my face. I looked at my feet awkwardly. I did exactly feel like small talk, despite who it was with. Quite frankly, I didn't know what I'd talk about with Dylan.

"Are you going to the party?" I murmured. Dylan, who still looking at me, nodded.

"Are you?" Dylan asked softly. I nodded too, finally looking at Dylan before turning to the now dark night sky, painted with the last few rays of life. Dylan followed my gaze, staying quiet, and I almost laughed. So this was it. This was how it ended. The laughing girl and rebel boy of the first few days were gone. And the broken girl and defiant, soft boy of that final day were gone too. The only remnants of the past were the fact that we were still here, if changed. We looked the same, but did not act the same, did not think the same.

 After Adelaide, I'd been broken. Then I'd been broken again. Shattered again. I was healing now. Barely healed. I couldn't take a chance again, not when I felt like a single movement would send me tumbling to the ground, the carefully replaced pieces of me falling out of the place. So this was what was left. This awkwardness, this silence in the air between us. That was what was left of us. The coldness, this emptiness, where there had been such light? Strangers. That was what was left now. Strangers, everything that had been connecting us had been washed away. When I'd walked away, made that choice, I hadn't known what I was doing. But if I could do it all again, I would. I would let him go, I needed to let him go. I needed to stop holding onto whatever we had. Because that was gone, I'd let it go that day in the pool. So why did I find myself holding on? I stared into his sapphire eyes and wondered why, wondered if I'd ever find the answer. I'd tried to stop myself from falling down. I'd only fallen faster. And I still had further to fall.