Chapter 61 - "Do you expect deep and thoughtful revelations?'

Lily

I hadn't seen Rose except when I bumped into her in the hallway and I wasn't interested in talking to her. As I'd confessed to the diner table, we used to be best friends. But then... it all went down the drain. I still remembered everything that happened and I had the feeling that answers were there – somewhere. Answers to everything. But I couldn't piece it all together in my head, something seemed off. Something always did. But, I couldn't let it go. So, I decided to bring a team together.

Alone, I could just remember and guess what happened, but with everyone, I could know what happened. And why. There were darker forces at play than the ones I thought they were, things I wouldn't ever dream off. I couldn't let everything fall apart, couldn't let evil win. I had to do whatever I could to stop Rose. I couldn't be clueless or naïve, not anymore. None of us could afford that luxury anymore. I felt a smile cross my face.

"Tax Avenger's assemble."

Rose

"Get up! We have a routine to perfect!" I announced, pulling the covers off Katie, Saya, Lily and Amy's beds. Millie wasn't in our dorm, and I'd made her promise that she'd be on the main field at four thrity am exactly. Lily and Amy got up without complaint, undoubtedly used to getting up early due to their various sports. Katie and Saya also got up without complaint, knowing better than to argue. Elle was already up, huddled in her blankets.

"Okay, okay, I'm getting up!" She said, noticing my glare. Everyone was already in their cheer uniforms, and I inspected them for creases or wrinkles.

"Okay, all good." I said, already walking out the door. When I'd given up my status as queen bee, I hadn't given up my drive to make the cheer team perfect. We weren't excepted to be anything less.

When we arrived at the main field, it was freezing and waves of mist rolled in from the lakes on campus. Amelia was sitting on the bleachers, her knees hugged close to her chest. When she saw us approaching she got up and walked to the line, and I couldn't help but notice the slight bags underneath her eyes. It turned out that we were all struggling with everything that was happening..

We'd practiced Lily and Amy's choreography so many times I felt I could do it with my eyes closed, which was no easy feat. It seemed like Lily and Amy had created the most difficult rountinue we could do, but it was no matter. We weren't called the A-Team for nothing. We got into our positions and everyone waited for me to count us in. I stood at the front, staring out at the empty field.

"Have you ever wondered what kind of legacy you'll leave at Prepsworth?" I asked abruptly. Katie and Saya laughed awkwardly.

"This is the cheer team. Do you expect deep and thoughtful revelations Rose?" Katie said, rolling her eyes. I crossed my arms and stared at her.

"No, I expect compliance with my ideas Katie. And if you don't wish to comply, then you can walk right back to the warm, cosy dorm. If you do wish to comply, then you need to listen to me and shut the hell up." I said sharply, glaring at her. Katie's face went red and she stared at the ground. I moved on from Katie, stalking around the group before making my way back to the front.

"My point is, when we all leave, what are we going to leave behind? A sad, broken school full of people who gaze wide-eyed after their idols, and don't do anything to become their idols or a school full of people who are strong, and smart and actually worthy to go here! We need to wake everyone up!" I exclaimed, looking across the team. There was a shocked, bemused silence. As I looked across everyone's faces, I could tell that they thought I'd finally gone crazy. Finally, Elle walked to the front and crossed her arms, her gaze inquisitive.