Chapter 18 - "Whatever you like."

Elle

After what seemed like minutes, but was actually hours of talking to Dylan, I checked the time, a responsible impulse after being decidedly not responsible. I gasped at the time and the bright light in the darkness. It was nearly two. Dylan saw my expression, my phone casting light onto my face, as well as Dylan's.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Guess what time it is." I said, smiling. Dylan saw my expression and shook his head, biting back a smile.

"Guess!" I insisted, and Dylan sighed.

"Fine." He said, leaning back and exaggeratedly rubbing his finger against his temple.

"Midnight." He said. I shook my head.

"So what is it?" Dylan exclaimed, shuffling forward to try to see the phone. I held my phone backwards, and Dylan tried to grab the phone, moving forward to get it. When I finally dropped the phone, I realised we were face to face, close enough so that I could see the slight purples in his eyes.

"It's basically two." I answered.

"No way! Five hours!" Dylan said incredulously.

"I know!" I added, the smile on my face growing wider.

"Why are you smiling?" He asked. I frowned immediately.

"It's a thing that people do when they're happy. It works by pulling your cheeks back and lifting the back of your cheeks up." I explained slowly. Dylan rolled his eyes.

"I mean like –" He began, gesturing at my face. I raised my eyebrows.

"Like what?" I asked, trying to laugh.

"Why are you smiling?" Dylan finally asked, rephrasing his earlier question, sounding frustrated. I shrugged.

"I don't know, maybe it's because I'm happy?" I suggested, half-sarcastically.

"Anyway, I've got to leave." I said, crawling out before I could see Dylan's expression. Dylan crawled out after me.

"I'll walk you back." Dylan offered. I was about to decline when I shrugged.

"Whatever you like." I said, before turning to bush ahead.

"I'll race you to the other garden!" I offered, already running. I heard a shout of frustration from Dylan as I leapt over a shrub and I sprinted fast, until I reach the wall, Dylan on my heels. I worked my finger into the cracks, lifting myself up and slipping my feet into cracks. I hefted myself up again and again and again, until I finally reached the top of the wall as I stood on it, looking over at the jungle. Dylan reached the top just after me and stood next to me, pausing for a moment to look at the garden, but when I turned around, I saw that he was looking at me. I quickly jumped down, to avoid Dylan seeing the blush that was burning my cheeks, and sprinted to the gate.

"I win!" I exclaimed, raising my arms above my head. Dylan reached the wall a second after me and he slumped down, under the guise of being dejected, before standing up and quickly spinning me around. I shouted out in surprise, before laughing, watching the lights blur together. After Dylan put me down, I leaned against the stone archway, dizzy and out of breath. Dylan leaned against the opposite one, studying my expression with a surprising seriousness. We both opened our mouths to talk, before closing them. My shoulder tightened and Dylan's jaw clenched as a wave of realisation flowed across us both. After everything, I liked Dylan, more than I should have, and I couldn't allow myself to like anyone. I saw Dylan have the same reaction and he stood up, brushing imaginary dirt off his shirt.

"I guess I'll see you around." He murmured.

"Wait." I said, echoing his words from the party two nights prior. Dylan turned around, sapphire eyes wide.