Chapter 59 - "And everything went to hell."

Dylan

Bored, I tapped my fingers on the desk, absent-mindedly tapping out a beat. Lily, who was sitting on the desk, her back up against the window, grinned at me.

"He should be here any minute now." She said, noticing my impatient expression. I turned to the door, before hearing footsteps thundering down the hall. Tom paused in the doorway.

"Is there a reason you summoned me or was it just for fun?" Tom said acidly. Lily, to her credit, merely raised an eyebrow.

"Just for fun." She said, winking at Tom. Tom glared at her as she slid off the desk.

"No, I need you to find out what happened that night at the party, when there was the fire." Lily said, her voice suddenly serious. Tom laughed.

"Anything else your highness?" Tom asked sarcastically. Lily inspected her fingernails disinterestedly.

"No, that will be all." She said coolly. I grinned at Lily.

"You've got moves." I commented. Lily fixed me with a glare.

"Don't. Even. Think. About. It." Lily replied sharply. I laughed, amused and turned to Tom.

"So, are you going to do it or what?" I asked.

"I'm not going to do your bidding Lily." Tom said coldly. Lily narrowed her eyes and scowled.

"This isn't for me Tom. Think about it, Amy returns from a party, the same party where there was a massive fire and suddenly she's Lukas' minion. Seems strange, doesn't it?" Lily snapped. Tom just rolled his eyes.

"I don't care Lily." He said pointedly before walking out the door. Lily didn't hesitate to run after him. Blocking their conversation out, I turned to look over the campus. Once, I'd looked out over campus and saw a world of possibilities. Now, I just saw memories. And someone featured prominently in them. I needed to get over her, the sooner the better. But every time I tried to move on, something bad happened. I just hoped it wouldn't happen this time.

Tom

"I don't care Lily." I spat. I could barely stand to look at her. Storming out of the room, I pressed my hands tightly against my side, trying to keep them from turning into fists. Lily followed me, not needing to run after me, she caught up to me easily with her long strides.

"What was that?" Lily demanded angrily. I barely refrained from rolling my eyes.

"That was me being me." I answered. Lily shook her head disdainfully.

"You didn't use to be like that." Lily said quietly. This time, I really did roll my eyes.

"No, I didn't but then I dated Rose and everything went to hell." I yelled. Lily stepped back, shocked. I was getting ready to apologise, of begrudgingly so when Lily finally spoke.

"I mean, you didn't used to be like that years ago, not weeks ago." Lily rephrased.

"I didn't mean this year. I dated her...before."

"You dated Rose before?" Lily asked sceptically.

"For around a week when she and Lukas had broken up and you and I had broken up." I answered.

"And then everything went to hell?" Lily asked, her voice sounding softer. I slumped back against the wall and nodded.

"Tom, I'm sorry. I didn't know." Lily continued. I looked up at her, the corridor suddenly awash with soft, orange light from the sun, before I stood up.

"Oh and by the way, I sort of have a girlfriend now so, back off." Lily added. I retreated to the safety of the wall, sighing.

"It's fine. I'm not going to be hitting on you or anything. Did you say a girlfriend?" I asked.

"Yeah. Because I'm a lesbian Tom."

"Or didn't you hear?" Lily added sarcastically.

"I'm sorry for what happened, I really am. And I was just trying to be interested in you life like a good friend." I said awkwardly. Lily raised her eyebrows.

"Friend? Friend? That's funny, because last time I checked, friends don't completely betray other friends." Lily snapped.

"So if you don't want to be friends, then why are you being nice, scratch that, decent to me?" I asked.

"Because, if you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to find out what happened to Amy, and since you have a connection to Rose, and Rose has a connection to Lukas, you could know something we hadn't picked up or you could find out something." Lily said sharply. I recoiled, flinching away from her harsh words. Was I really that bad?

"Although clearly, the only thing you know is how much you want a girlfriend, which, by the way, is far too much, and the only thing you'll find out is exactly how much absolutely no one wants to be your girlfriend." Lily exclaimed, her voice cold. I backed up into the wall again, admittedly hurt.

"Why? Why are saying all of this?" I asked, my voice wavering. Lily stormed up to me.

"Because ... I was nothing to you. Nothing but a trophy, easily disposable. You outed me in front of the entire school Tom! Or have you forgotten that too?" Lily exclaimed, beginning angrily, before her voice grew softer.

"I didn't know it would go that far!" I protested. I didn't know what to say, or what to do to make this better. I needed to be a winner, to triumph, but it felt like I was a kilometre behind everyone else in a ten kilometre run.

"Oh, I think you knew exactly how far it would go. I hurt you, so you had to make sure it left an impression. You took it far enough so that I was isolated from some of my friends, far enough so that you could look cool and unscathed, far enough that you could start dating Rose. Although, it didn't all go to plan, did it?" Lily said acidly.

"I'm sorry. I really, really am. I can't tell you how much I regret what I did and... I want to change. I want to be the boy I was before everything went to hell. Please, just let me make it up to you!" I begged. I knew I had to fight to become a better person and for some reason, Rae's face flashed into my head. I'd seen her a couple of times after the party but never for long. Not enough. Part of me wondered how long would be long enough. However, my motives for turning "good" weren't Rae, or Rose. It was Lily. She was the only reason I could try to change, at least around her. I had no desire to be a better person or to treat everyone else like adorable little puppies in need of protection, but I wanted to make it up to Lily. I at least owed her that. And, what I had was true. I wanted to be friends with Lily again, and nothing more. And then, once I'd patched up my mistake, I could continue on, triumphant and carefree.

Lily frowned slightly.

"I'll give you a chance but remember; you step out of line and you will never feel more alone in your entire miserable life. There are major factors at play. But, for now, welcome to the team!" Lily announced, her face unusually grave. I grinned at her.

"Thanks. I mean it. I'll try to help, I really will."

"And you'll act like a decent human being and be nice?" Lily asked. I made a face.

"Decent human being I can do. I'll be nice...to you. As to the others, I make no promises." Lily laughe.

"As much as I hate to admit it, I've missed you, you big jerk." Lily said.

"I've missed you too. And I know you really don't want to be friends, but I want to make it up to yoy.. Is there anything I can do?" I asked. Lily shrugged.

"Do my chores, do my homework, be my wingman." Lily suggested, beginning to walk along with hallway. I fell into step beside her.

"Done, done and especially done. Give me a day." I said lightly. Lily grinned at me/

"I'll keep you to that. And...I forgive you. I know I just went all threatening on you but, life's too short and too fickle to hold grudges." Lily said.

"Thanks, Lily. Now, you said something about a girlfriend? Who is she?" I asked. Lily laughed and elbowed me in the side.

"We're not at that level of friendship yet." Lily exclaimed. There was a beat of silence as we stood outside the door.

"Should we go inside?" Lily asked. I pushed the door open, before holding it open.

"After you. Let's go "detect"."