Chapter 31 - "Desperation is so not a good look."

Rose

Everything was like it used to be, just slightly altered. That was what I told myself: That it was like a reflection of us, just that something was a little off. We were still the same, I was still the same. I was Rose Miller, untouchable and perfect. The truth was, very simply that we had all changed irrevocably. I Even me. I couldn't throw myself into parties, into drama like I'd done so easily previously. I couldn't lose myself in gossips and intrigue and music. There was always something there, blocking the way. One of the reasons was Principal Verne's stupid punishments. I couldn't leave my dorm after nine pm, I wasn't allowed to hold any parties without permission from the school board and a teacher present and supervising the party. It was like I was in Year Seven again, with trust or responsibility. In other words, it was completely infuriating. I had to write a written apology to Lily and explain my actions – now that was like I was back in kindergarten, so much so that it was almost laughable. Who did they think they were?

Another reason was the fact I had changed. Massively. I was never "mean" to begin with, despite Elle's desperate exclamations, followed most prudent efforts to get me to see the malice behind my action, . All I did was call people out on what they did and their weakness. And if someone got offended by that, then it wasn't my fault. Besides, it was Prepsworth. If I coddled everyone, they'd go out into the world with a stupid, naive smile one their face only to be brutally pushed down.

I never had been mean, but suddenly it felt a bit less fun to laugh with Katie and Saya over someone's truly tragic outfit or whatever desperate girl was chasing Lukas. When said desperate girl's were hanging onto my clique, trashing everyone and anything to be accepted, it was almost torture.

"If one more girl starts going on about someone's "awkward moment", I'm going to puke." I whispered to Katie and Saya.

"They're not even funny, just sad." Exclaimed Katie.

"Like, do they ever shut up?" I continued, eyeing a particularly vehement girl who was mid-way through a list of all of another girl's failures.

"I know. Desperation is so not a good look." Saya exclaimed, purposefully loudly. The girl looked up, her face turning red.

"Neither is insulting people. It is so not funny, especially with your creativity." I piped up. May as well put on a good show for everyone. Saya raised her eyebrow.

"That's a new perspective." She remarked. I sighed dramatically.

"I know, I've got sappy in my old age. But seriously, shut up. No one cares." I snapped, before standing up and walking away. I could feel everyone's astounded eyes on my back, but didn't care. All of a sudden, I didn't have any time for petty squabbles, and they were painfully irrelevant to me.

Lukas wasn't at all surprised when I arrived at his dorm, climbing in through the window as to avoid the teacher patrolling the hallway. I landed on the carpet with a soft thud and sat down on the couch, all without a word. Lukas paused the movie he was watching and looked over at me expectantly. I flipped my hair behind my back and crossed my arms defensively, meeting his gaze.

"I want you to go to the gym with me." Lukas raised his eyebrows.

"Do we not typically do that?" Lukas asked.

"And I want you to teach me how to box." I added. Lukas laughed.

"I don't know how to." He said., I shrugged, already standing up.

"Then we can learn together." I said resolutely. Lukas stood up and clicked the TV off.

"I understand but why all of a sudden do you want to learn how to box?" Lukas asked. I sighed.