Chapter 28 - "I should hate you."

Author's Note:

I've just started releasing a bit of a new book I wrote, called "The Precise Art Of Staying Alive." If you like murder mysteries or drama books, then feel free to check it out, but of course you don't have to. Thank you so much for reading Prepsworth Academy :)

Tom

I'd been running when I heard the screams, still swept up in a blissful world of revenge and strategy. I'd I paused as I began my thirtieth lap of the track. What the hell happened? Is Lily okay? I hated, truly and deeply hated that my second thought was about how Lily was. It tore me up inside, . Because, even if I hadn't loved Lily I'd cared for her. She was important to me, however painful it was to admit it. I envisioned the future I could've had with her, me a successful sports person, world renowned and breaking records, her athletic and bright, managing my career and looking after our house. At the beginning of the year, I'd been sure that I would break up with her at the end of the year, but I'd begun to envision another future. However, it was just a dream. That was all it would ever be, no matter how much it hurt. I wasn't even sure if it had hurt because of how much I'd cared about Lily or how much it'd hurt my pride. To tell the truth, it was a mixture of both.

After the first scream, I looked towards where it came from, where a small group people had congregated around the entrance to the underground swimming pool. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I shouldn't care. That was what I had to be from then on – careless, cold-hearted. If I truly wanted to win, to be the very best, I had to be like Rose. I needed to leave everything in the past, I needed to move on, to not care about other. With one sharp, jarring breath, I steeled myself and started to run again.

Rose

I had to hand it to Lukas, I really did. His plan was just what I needed to finally bring them all down, to to finally even the playing fields and prove I was so much more than what they all thought I was. It was a tad cruel, more than a little complicated and filled with drama but that was just my style. I felt a cruel smile etch itself onto my face. Lukas knew me well. I.

I was just sitting with Lukas, laughing and talking, finally feeling comfortable with myself when the door flew open in a shuddering crash and Amy stormed into the room, her eyes burning with anger.

"Oh look, an angry ballerina, I'm terrified." Lukas laughed. I smirked, eyeing Amy with an amused gaze. She'd probably been waiting her turn in the line to yell at me about what I'd done to Amy.

"Can I help you?" I asked, and Lukas' face told me that he was almost laughing. I was close to laughing too, Amy's anger was almost comedic in it's intensity. Besides, she was always so quiet that she couldn't really effect me. Nothing Amy would say could upset me. Amy tossed me a hateful smile.

"Yeah, actually. Recognise this?" Amy asked, holding up a navy blue book. Nothing except for that. My eyes flashed with worry but I tried to mask her expressions for Lukas.

"It's just a random book Amy. Nothing special about it as far as I can see." I said, scowling, before lining forward, my eyes widening.

"Is it your diary? My god Amy, I would recommend against flinging that around. You wouldn't want anyone else to see your awkward love poetry about Jake." I said, my voice adopting a gossipy tone. Lukas burst out laughing.

"Now that would be something to see." Lukas exclaimed, oblivious to the unspoken words hanging in the air between Amy and I.

I sat back, hoping that playing dumb and insulting her would be enough to discourage Amy from saying another further, but judging from Amy's glare, she wouldn't. God she annoyed me with her holier-than-thou attitude. She was almost as infuriating as Elle, and along with Emma, they made the all-too-perfect trio. At least Emma had her strength of character and dubious moral code going for her.