Chapter 17 - "Wouldn't want there to be another fight."

Jake

I hated Lukas. I hated him so much that whenever I thought of him, my mouth twisted into an involuntary snarl and all of my muscles clenched, as if imagining beating him up again. He'd used Rose, used me, used all of us. In the end, he'd chosen a random girl over his girlfriend, because Eve really meant nothing to him, and then chosen his girlfriend over me. The one he'd already dumped. I felt like slapping myself for trusting him, for protecting him for all those years, thinking I was being his best friend when I was really just maintaining his charade of a slightly stupid party boy. Because beneath that, he was cunning, heartless and cold. And I hated him so much for that.

As for Rose, I wasn't still "in love" with her. Not in the least. In fact, I wasn't sure that I'd ever loved her. Rose had used me and discarded me just as easily as Lukas had, but I was sane enough to realise that she owed me nothing. I could still hurt, still be annoyed at her, but I couldn't hate her like I'd hated Lukas. I still hated her though. She'd used Lukas just as he'd used her, corrupting him, twisting him, making him rotten and cold. Now that I was disillusioned with them both, I could see the way that Rose really was, not sugary sweet or mysterious, or gossipy like any of her personalities she'd betrayed. No, those were faces she could discard just as easily as she'd discarded me. The real Rose was similar to Lukas, cunning, heartless and cold, perhaps more so. Sure, she did it less obviously, but it was still there.

I swung back and forth between thinking that Lukas had poisoned Rose and that Rose had poisoned Lukas, but either way, they were made for each other. Their twisted, cruel personalities, a result arrogance mixing with vanity. Maybe they had poisoned each other, and now they were unable to tear away. The thought made me smile, just a little, but it quickly turned into a rush of sadness.

As for everyone else at Prepsworth; they were all stupid, pampered brats. Irrelevant and nothing more than ants beneath my feet, scurrying around and hoping to live their meaningless little lives, trying to get into Rose's ultra-stereotypical cheer squad or earning the graces of Lukas and Rose.

I felt bitter, sarcastic and angry, and maybe a little relieved to not still have to be the happy, sensible side-kick. Perhaps that had been my own charade, but it was gone – forever.

As I left the hospital, I got a text from Charlie, one of my so called "friends."

Party Time!!!

I ignored the text, rolling my eyes. It was eight thirty and I had a minor concussion from being knocked on the head, as well as the multitude of injuries that Lukas had given me. No one had called the police on him. Then again, I suppose I didn't have fractured and bruised bones, along with a mountain of cuts. I almost smiled at the damage I had inflicted on Lukas. Almost.

As I stepped onto campus half an hour later, haven driven home in a particularly fast and more than a little dangerous taxi, my phone dinged with several texts from my "friends". I sighed, and scrolled through them, deciding that seeing what was happening was different to actually being there.

This party is WILD!!! You don't know what ur missing out on!

Damn Jake, what you wouldn't give 2 be me right now! I'm dancing with Rose!

At the party right now and Rose is CRAZY! Mate u seriously need 2 get here ASAP!!!!

I'm at the party right now and it is AMAZING! U need to come!"

I turned my phone off in disgust. It all seemed so stupid now. Who cared about stupid parties? Who cared about stupid Rose? The thoughts were bitter in my head as I glanced towards my dorm, which was undoubtedly the place of the party, with the decorations still up from the party two nights ago. Feeling a burst of hatred, I walked towards the front office, stepping onto the plush carpet and glancing briefly around the expensively decorated room. I strolled up to the window, and knocked on the wall, trying to get the staff's attention, a practice that Prepsworth students typically thought nothing off. Someone finally came to the window, glancing at me, her features widening when she saw me. I refused to react, instead looking at her and deciding she would definitely be called Doris.

"I'm here to sign back into the school." I said emotionlessly. Doris nodded, entering my name in the computer and pressing a few keys. I started to walk away, before pausing and looking over my shoulder.

"By the way, Doris, there's a party tonight. Is that authorised?" I asked sharply.

"No, but it isn't we don't call campus security to break the unauthorised party up unless something serious happens." Doris answered, stiffening at me saying Doris.

"There's alcohol." I pressed. When Doris didn't answer, I turned on my heel, before pausing one more time.

"Lots of it." I said, before beginning walking. I was almost out of the doorway when I began to talk again.

"Wouldn't want there to be another fight." I said, a clear edge to my voice. I didn't look back as I heard Doris give a muffled exclamation and hurry somewhere, possibly to call campus security.

Around ten minutes later, I stood at the edge of my dorm at campus security escorted the party-goers out of the dorm and the backyard, pushing them towards the dorm. There was some annoyed muttering, and a lot of protesting, but everyone knew better than to argue with campus security. Everyone except for Rose. She was near me, loudly arguing with someone. He guided her away, ignoring her scratches and threats. As she passed me, she looked me straight in the eyes, her gaze accusatory and cold. I held her gaze, unfeeling as she walked away. And then, smiling, I walked into dorm.