Twenty Eight

Eliana's POV 

I spent hours in the forest, walking around on the horse and making sure not to go too far so I wouldn't lose sight of the castle. I did a lot of thinking and most of it came to the same conclusion that I had to trust Harry. 

I knew that he wasn't going to leave me for Valentina. Obviously not. 

But the way that she would keep inserting herself into everything that he did bothered me and he had to understand that. There was a way for a woman to behave when she wanted to be civil with a man and it was another thing entirely to behave the same way Valentina was behaving whenever she saw or even spoke of Harry. 

I can't believe he didn't see that. 

The sun was beginning to set which meant I couldn't be out here for much longer because I knew he'd send a search party looking for me. So I climbed onto the horse and made my way back to the castle.

When I got back into the grounds, Harry was sitting on the castle steps with his head in his hands. At the sound of the horse's hoofbeats, he looked up and stood as he watched me climb off my horse. A stableboy stood nearby, waiting to bring the horse back to the stables. 

I smiled at the worker and sighed before I turned my attention to Harry. 

He looked at me with no expression but still made his way over. I said nothing as I watched him. I didn't really know what to say. I was frustrated with him for not wanting to understand my emotions. I was more upset with him for not realizing that I needed some time to myself. 

"I'm sorry," he said, taking me by surprise. 

"You are?" I said. He nodded, taking my hands in his. 

"I should have been more conscientious of your feelings. You were right," he said. I bit my lip and looked up at him. 

"The entire time you were gone, I kept replaying our conversation in my head and I realized that even if Valentina is just a friend, if it is making you uncomfortable, I need to acknowledge that first. I do have a loyalty to this kingdom but my first and foremost loyalty should be to you," he explained, "I fear as though I've already failed you."

I tilted my head and reached up to cup his cheek, "you haven't. I was just frustrated you didn't understand."

"I do now."

I nodded, "I hope you do." 

He smiled softly and held my hand that was against his cheek. He brought it down between us and intertwined our fingers before he led us into the castle. We said nothing as we walked hand-in-hand past the various rooms and hallways in this castle and made our way towards my bedroom. He smiled softly and waited for me to open it, following me inside when I stepped in.

"I am sorry," he replied again, "I'm just being overdramatic, I presume."

"I guess I was too," I said, "I need to trust you. I should be able to understand that you wouldn't do anything like that ever."

He shook his head, "never."

I smiled and nodded, sitting down on my bed and watching as he came up to me and squatted down. He took my hands in his and looked up at me. He watched me with uncertainty in his eyes. He smiled softly and sat beside me on the bed. 

"I'm sorry, El," he said, wrapping his arm around my waist. 

"It's fine," I said, leaning into him and putting my head on his shoulder. He rested his head onto mine and we sat there in silence for a little bit. 

A knock on the door interrupted us from our restful silence.

"Who is it?" Harry asked for me.

"It's me." Louis' voice came through.

Harry smiled at me and walked over to the door. He opened it and Louis eyes fell to me. He sighed in relief as he stepped in.

"I was beginning to worry she never came back," he said. Harry nodded and shrugged.

"She did though," he replied, "so we're okay." 

Louis nodded and looked to Harry, "you're wanted in the ballroom. For planning. Valentina and your mother are there right now. That's what I came to tell you. I actually went to your own room first but you weren't there so I thought to come here."

Harry nodded and looked at me with a smile. I smiled at him and nodded.

"I'll be back as soon as I can, princess."

------

Harry's POV

-----

I didn't look at Valentina when I walked into the ballroom. I needed to make sure she understood that she was nothing more than a worker in the castle. We could be friends but the friendship she was aiming towards was a bit too familiar for my liking.

As soon as I stepped into the ballroom, I saw her smile brightly at my appearance. I didn't react though, and walked towards my mother who was busy analyzing curtains for the decorations.

"Mother?" I said, "you wanted me?"

She smiled and nodded, "I was going to call for the princess but she's spent all these days helping me plan, I figured you should do it now."

I laughed slightly and nodded, "sure. What can I help with?"

"Do you prefer gold and white, or this sky blue with the white drapes?" she said, "I asked Valentina and she said she likes the gold and white."

I looked over at her, to find her smiling at me. I offered Valentina a small smile back out of politeness and looked back to my mother.

"Gold and white does sound nice," I replied, "makes the hall feel more regal."

My mother nodded and clapped her hands.

"Alright! White and gold it is. I'll go tell the tailor. Wait here," my mother said and walked off. I stood there, watching the workers around me fumble their way around the grand ballroom. I turned my head as I watched Valentina come up to me.

"Why do you seem so cold?" she asked. I looked at her.

"I'm not," I said, "I'm just standing here. Waiting. Like my mother told me to."

"You were always a mother's boy," she joked. I nodded and looked at her again.

"I must tell you something, Valentina," I said, "you cannot and should not speak to me like this anymore. It's awfully too casual for a prince and a worker and I don't think the princess is too fond of it."

"She's not, is she?" she replied cooly. I rose an eyebrow.

"No, she is not." 

"Is she controlling you that badly," she began, "to the point where you can't even decide who your friends are?"

I gaped at her, "excuse me?"

"We're just friends, Harry. That's all I ever expected from you too. I'm not trying to do anything further than that. You're always the one preaching about how you and Eliana plan to treat your help like family," she explained, causing my cheeks to flame slightly. 

"I'm just trying to keep the peace between you and her and-"

She interrupted me, "by becoming her slave?"

I stood there, shocked at her audacity to accuse Eliana of such a thing.

"This is not your place, Valentina," I said, "I'm telling you that this friendship should go no further. If you respect me as your future king, you will abide by these expectations. Go any further and I will have you punished."

"Okay," she said, "I apologize. I got too ahead of myself. I would like to be your friend. I promise that's all we will be."

I didn't wait as I walked away from her and over to my mother, listening to her ramble about the table settings. I was upset and angry at Valentina's words.

I knew for sure that from now on, I had to be extremely careful of how I handled myself around her.