Finding the Key

Love the support. What are you favorite parts of Legacies?

"Where the hell is this key? Damnit!" I rummage through things and still can't find it.

"Calm down love. You'll find it."

"Our children are putting themselves in danger and we're stuck in here. I need to get out to be there for them. I have to get out of this."

"I know." Nik places his hand on mine. "We're going to get out of this. We're going to save our children." I nod my head. Nik continues to look for his key while I look through books and toys for some clue. I freeze when I hear Nik open a box. I turn and see him looking at the box full of letters Hayley sent to him over the years trying to keep him up to date with our children.

"Nik..."

"I don't need to hear it Sofia."

"Are you even going to open them?"

"Why would I put myself through that?"

"Because Hayley kept them so you could one day read them. She knew you would want them so..." Nik already begins tossing them into the fire.

"I don't need to be reminded of what I've failed at."

"I still celebrate our anniversary." I state and he stops for a brief second.

"Why would you do that?" He keeps his back to me.

"I loved our wedding but that's not the anniversary I was speaking of." He turns to look at me now.

"What else is there to celebrate?"

"My graduation. On that day I decided I was leaving everything I knew behind to have an adventurous life with you. At that moment I knew I wanted to travel the world with you by my side. I celebrate that date because it was the start of us forever."

"Well look how that turned out for you. Wished you stayed in Mystic Falls." Nik throws at me and I know he's lashing out because he's mad but I'm not going to take it.

"A small-town life was never enough for me. You said that yourself. I just didn't know it but the moment I tasted adventure I never wanted to go back."

"You should have stayed this would have never..."

"What? I stayed in my small-town life and adventure still found me. I never asked to find out about the supernatural. I never said this sounds like fun but..." I reach out and grab his hand stopping him from burning more letters. "I wouldn't change it for a second. I love our family Nik. I love our life and above all else I love you."

"You shouldn't."

"That's not for you to decide."

"I'm no..." I hit his shoulder.

"I love you Nik and there's nothing you can say to make me change my mind. I know you have done horrible things. I know you've let our children down but I still love you because I meant it when I said our vows."

"When we get out of here you should move on and..."

"I could never forget about you." I make Nik turn to look at me. I place my hands on his face keeping him from moving. "We all do horrible things. But that doesn't make us monsters. The kids love you and will forgive you for the time you missed. But you have to forgive yourself first." I lean in and kiss Nik for the first time in years. He relaxes and deepens the kiss. We haven't had these moments because we feared we wouldn't stay away if we allowed ourselves to be selfish.

"Sorry I..." Nik and I stop kissing as Marcel comes into the room. Nik keeps me in his embrace as we turn to look at Marcel. "What are you burning?" Klaus looks to the fire and the letters Hayley wrote to him.