crashing the party

"It would be so nice if something made sense for a change

"It would be so nice if something made sense for a change."

⊱ .⋅ ✯ ⋅. ⊰

Once Thea left the room, leaving both Vanya and Luther behind, she felt the despondency within her seep a little deeper. It seemed like nothing was going right and the miscommunication between her family members had once again brought about even more trouble and discrepancy.

Pushing open the door and taking in a deep breath of the cool breeze outside, Thea shuffled over and sat on the sidewalk, leaning her back against the building she was in moments before.

Five was still stood beside the car, waiting. He opened his mouth to speak to her but his gaze was caught by Vanya walking out of the building a second later. Thea ignored them both, unable to gather up the energy to really be bothered.

Have I done it again? Have I chosen the wrong route and alienated those I care about? Being a part of this family is exhausting. Trying to get along for longer than a couple of minutes without somebody inevitably arguing is like getting blood from a stone. Impossible.

Just as she thought that, she heard the sound of a car revving its engine and wheels squealing against the asphalt as Vanya drove away from Five.

The boy turned his head and with a glance at the wall above her, his thick brows furrowed into a frown. He sighed in a mix of disappointment and exasperation.

"Looks like it's back down to two," he muttered bitterly. 

His stare was cold and Thea knew that he was more than likely cursing their siblings in his mind for being so uncooperative.

"Is it too late to be un-adopted?" he hissed and began pacing back and forth.

Thea wasn't sure what was right anymore. Why were Vanya and Luther so against helping them save the world? If they had anything to lose, surely it was worth protecting? Even at the risk of danger? 

Am I truly the one in the right...or are they?

"I can still count on you, can't I, Z?"

Thea blinked owlishly up at Five's imploring gaze.

His hand was outstretched, his blue eyes warm and trusting as he looked back at her. It was obvious he didn't doubt her promise and yet he still extended his hand her way, silently vowing that just like she had promised him, he'd promised her, too.