Part 16. A Cinderella Moment

The alarm on Nandini's phone rang at 4 pm and she woke up immediately. Manik also heard the alarm but decided to snooze through it for a little more time. He knew Nandini would wake him up in a few minutes.
Nandini - Manik. It's 4. Wake up. Come on.
Manik - 5 mins.
Nandini - Okay. Only 5 mins more. I'll quickly wake Alya, Mukti, Cabir and Dhruv up and come back.
She quickly got out of bed and quickly changed into tracks and presentable Tshirt and rushed out.
She went to Alya and Mukti's room but was relieved to find them awake. Alya was speaking to their makeup and hair stylist on the phone who was on her way to Malhotra Mansion.
Nandini - Good you guys are already up. Main tum logon ko uthaane hi aayi thi.
Alya - Don't worry Nandini. We've got it covered.
Mukti - Nandini. Can you please make me a coffee if you're not too busy?
Nandini - Sure. Pehle main sab ko utha doon? Manik is still sleeping aur pata nahi Cabir and Dhruv kya kar rahe hai.
Mukti - Ek kaam karo. Tum Manik ko uthao. Main Cabir aur Dhruv ko dekhti hu. Alya, you go have a quick shower in the meanwhile.
Alya - Cool.
Nandini - Aur main tumhari coffee bhejti hu. Alya, I'll send you a green tea too.
Alya - Thanks Nandini.
Nandini - No problem.
She ran back to her room and fortunately, Manik was up and getting off the bed.
Manik - Thank god you're up. Tum shower ke liye jao. I'll get your clothes ready.
Manik was still a little sleepy and lazy. He got up from the bed and went to hug her tight and stayed there without any movements.
Nandini - Manik. Wake up baby. Big day today.
Manik - Hmmm...
Nandini - Manik...
Manik - Hmmm....
Nandini - Chalo...
She forcefully detangled them and pushed him into the bathroom. She then took out his tux from the hangers and the covers and laid it on the bed. She then took out his watch, cufflinks and his bow-tie too. She then took out his brand new shoes and as usual didn't have his sock pair. She went to her bag and fished out a new pair of black socks that she had picked for him when she went to the mall as she was aware of Manik's habit of losing his sock pairs every single time and he couldn't mix and match today owing to a stage performance.
Once she was done, she knocked on the bathroom door.
Nandini - Manik, all your things are laid out on the bed. I'm going to the kitchen to get everyone's coffee and tea, okay?
Manik - Haan okay.
Nandini rushed down the kitchen and made Mukti and Dhruv's coffee, Alya's green tea and Manik's earl grey tea. Just when she was about to make Cabir's masala chai, she remembered that Manik's dad was also around. She asked the butler what was Mr. Malhotra's preferred beverage but unfortunately, he didn't know as Mr. Malhotra had not visited them in a long time. She finally decided to go and ask him herself. She went to his room and hesitantly knocked on his door.
Mr. Malhotra was again busy on his laptop when he heard the knock.
Mr. Malhotra - Come in.
Nandini opened the door and entered the room.
Nandini - Uhhh... Uncle?
Mr. Malhotra was surprised to see Nandini there.
Nandini - Uncle. Main sab ke liye coffee bana rahi thi but mujhe pata nahi aap kya peete hai.
Mr. Malhotra - Thank you Beta. But tum kyu pareshaan ho rahi ho? Ghar ke koi butler ko bol do.
Nandini - Nahi uncle. That's okay. Mujhe koi problem nahi hai. Butlers waise bhi aaj shaam ki preparations mein busy hai. Mujhe aapki preference poochni thi.
Mr. Malhotra - Waise toh main adrak waali chai peeta hoon but agar tum kuch aur bana rahi ho toh mujhe koi problem nahi hai.
Nandini - Don't worry uncle. Main abhi Cabir ke liye chai hi bana rahi thi. Main aapke liye bhi bana deti hoon.
Mr. Malhotra - Thank you beta.
Nandini - No problem uncle.
Nandini quickly rushed out of the room and sighed in relief. She was very nervous about facing Manik's dad and couldn't help but be relieved once she was out of his sight. Mr. Malhotra was quite difficult to read. He had maintained a poker face through all his conversations with her so far. She wasn't able to judge whether he was happy with hers and Manik's relationship or not. Though Manik had mentioned that his Dad was cool with their relationship but she wanted Manik's dad to be happy about it. Just like her family was. But she'd have to wait and watch.
Once she had everyone's evening beverages ready, she asked the butler to place it in everyone's room along with a few sandwiches. It was important all of them ate a bit before the party as they had to perform and food would be last on their mind until they finish the performance. She took her coffee and Manik's tea and sandwiches to Manik's room herself.
Once she entered, she saw him dressed in his tux dress pants and a white linen shirt. He was trying to tie his bow-tie but it looked like he was struggling with it.
Nandini - Manik. Here's your tea and have some sandwiches too.
Manik - Hmmm. Ek minute. This stupid bow-tie isn't getting done properly. Tumhe aata hai isse baandhna?
Nandini - Nahi. I've never tied it before. Let me google it. Tum tab tak apni tea pee lo and have the sandwiches too.
Manik picked his tea up and started gobbling the sandwiches too. God knows why he was so hungry already. He had had a heavy lunch. Maybe it was just anxiety of the performance. Nandini in the meanwhile was watching a video on how to tie a bow-tie.
Nandini - Come here. I'll tie it for you.
She raised his collars and placed the tie as shown in the video. However, she couldn't get a good view as Manik was taller.
Nandini - Tch. Tum bohot tall ho.
She held his hand and took him to the edge of the bed and climbed on the bed so she didn't have to strain her neck and get a better view. Manik was holding her phone and so she could copy the way the video showed her to tie it and finally, after a couple of attempts, the bow-tie was tied.
Nandini - Perfect!
Manik turned around and checked it in the mirror and noted that it was actually perfect.
Manik - Thank you.
Nandini then lowered his collar again and place a quick kiss on his cheek. She then moved into the walk-in cupboard and took out her dress and also pulled out her new heels from the box. She then went to the dresser and took out her hair blow dryer, hair straightener, her make up and other accessories.
Manik was wearing his socks when he noticed that his socks were still packed in plastic.
Manik - Did you get me new socks?
Nandini - Haan. I thought you'd have lost the pairs of all the ones you have. Which you have too. Upar se your cupboard is also in a whole mess.
Manik - Hmmm. Thanks. And can you help me with these cufflinks? All these formal clothes are so annoying. I don't know how dad wears them everyday.
Nandini turned around and went to him. Why can't I just wear a normal shirt?
Nandini - I requested for a shirt with cufflinks because I got these made for you.
She opened the box of cufflinks and showed it to him. They were the musical note tie-shaped cufflinks.

Reality Ever Afterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें