Chapter 40

| A week before the Mid-Autumn festival |

There's only a week left before the month of  October arrives along with the Mid-Autumn festival. The students were already looking forward for the festival, some couldn't even wait for it to arrive since it means they have a week long vacation.

But of course to us teachers, it also means that we get to be with our love ones and have some rest. But of course it wasn't just like that, there's a lot of preparation in order for a smooth day to finish.

Foods and decorations as well as inviting your close relatives, ai, there's a lot of things to do. Of course as a child you wouldn't really think of the labour, the sweat and ache of muscles that your parents will have after preparing for the festival.

There's also another option, if you wanted to be stress free in the Mid-Autumn festival, then just go to a restaurant and relax. Yes, it's easy to say but difficult to do since a lot of people wants to eat and not to work, almost half of the population would go to a restaurant and some had already made a reservation.

So I think it's easy to be invited with one of your close relatives or just work for it. I mean your hard earned labor will bore fruit, you just need to be patient.

It feels like yesterday when I gaze towards to the moon, basking into its light as I backed away from our relatives. The laughter and cheerful talking, the smell of liquor and food drifting into the private room our close relative picked.

I was out, wanted some fresh air so I left their playful bantering and left the noisy room. I can only gaze at the moon, standing alone the dim wall as I watch the people on the street carelessly walking with smiles on their faces.

I felt so lonely in the ocean of people, but now, I have someone I wanted to watch moon gazing with.

I can only sigh in my seat after seeing the piles of documents and lesson plans I have yet to do.

"It's gonna be fine Feng Mian jie" Ping Ling said after ignoring me for three days.

Of course I can only touch my nose in shame after all I just abandoned her with those starving wolves- I mean seniors.

"Yep, what about your wedding? Are the preparations ready for the big day? Might as well ask if you're ready" I teased her till her face turned red as a ripe tomato.

"It is, it'll be in the 17th day of October, an auspicious date that his parents asked to a fortune teller" she said with a slight aggrieved tone.

Well, it seems she wants to decide the date of their marriage and not just someone. She smiled at me and I didn't comment more about it. It's best for her to remain happy rather than sad, after all her big day is just around the corner.

Soon, I was weary by all the work I have yet to finish and since the festival is getting closer, our principal urged us to finish our work too.

Ugh, I hate deadlines for real.

...

Soon, I got home after a tiring day and collapsed at the nearest couch I could find. My brother isn't here, I guess he's been stumped with work too since there would be a long week vacation time.

Time is pressed and all we could do was to do our best to finish it.

"You're home, I made dinner" he pointed out at the dining room while I can only smile weakly. "Oh, your Gugu also invited us for the Autumn festival since you're Tang Mei got into a very well known company"

"That's a relief, I'll bring some gifts for Ji An, I think she'll be ecstatic" he smiled and turned to inform my mother while I go to my room and cleaned myself.

Getting downstairs, I prepared the cutleries and plates while the door to my right opened revealing my mother.

My hand slipped and the spoon on my hand slipped as well. Just great, the awkwardness in the air became more apparent than ever, great job Feng Mian.

It's been like this since the last time I last heard my mother saying I am her precious child which still makes me smile from ear. Of course what comes after that is the awkwardness, I haven't had the chance to talk with her alone since I've been busy.

"Um-"

"I-"

We both said before suppressing myself from groaning. I cleared my throat and motioned for her to say her words first, fearing that my voice will croak from nervousness.

She sat with her hands on her lap, fidgeting on her seat while I remained calm outside but in my head, I was in a storm of confusion and fear as well as anticipation.

"I....I wanted to say that.... I'm deeply sorry for i-ignoring you f-for the last couple of years. I couldn't get the anger away and I just...I just pushed it all to you. I wanted what's best for you, what I think is the best for you b-but...turns out it just made me realize how much I controlled you. I'm such a bad mother"

I stared at her, my eyes misty from hearing her say that she's a bad mother. She's not, she just wanted what's best for me but she didn't realize that I was being suffocated by her protectiveness.

"I forgive you, I already did" I said as I take her hand with me, her hand still trembled but it subsided after I drew circles on it like how Ming Chen does.

"I can't....I- it's still not e-enough"

"It is for me, just...just being able to talk to you again, it's just...I feel great. I forgive you, mom"

She leaned with her hands already on my face as tears continuously flowed from her eyes.

"My precious child, Feng Feng, you shouldn't forgive me just because I'm your mother. I'm still human, I make mistakes-"

"That's why I forgive you, you're just a human and you make mistakes. Let the past be gone, let us look forward to the future all right mom?" 

She hugged me and with that, I had finally managed to lift the heavy boulder on my heart from the past couple of years.

Notes:

• The Mid-Autumn Festival is the second most important festival in China. It's also known as the Moon Festival or the Mooncake Festival.
Selecting the Wedding Date, the boy's family asked the fortune-teller to choose a date according to the astrological book when it would be proper and propitious to hold the wedding ceremony.
Gūgū, dad’s younger sister.
Táng Mèi, dad’s sibling’s daughter (if younger than you)

***
Hi people! Well, that's a surprising chapter isn't it? No Ming Chen today in this chapter, only her and her family.

I hope you can all have a talk with your family, even if they have done bad with you, I hope you have at least the talk to end things.

Stay safe as always!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!