Secret

The next morning, Tiffany and the others of the 104th went into the city as part of the clean up crew. The group was separated so that they could get more done in short amount of time that the higher ups had given. The higher ups were worried about an epidemic spreading because of the dead bodies littering throughout Trost, and they wanted all the bodies gone as soon as possible. Tiffany had been walking around with Jean as they helped identify the bodies from their year. Although the most unexpected thing happened as they looked around the streets.

"Jean what are you staring at?" Tiffany asked as she approached the two-toned haired boy.

"That can't be him. I know I haven't seen him in a while, but it just can't be." Jean mumbled as he continued to stare in front of him.

"Oh my god." Tiffany whispered as she noticed the body on the ground.

"Cadets, do you know the identity of this boy? We need to record it and move it before there is another epidemic." A Garrison stated as she held her clipboard.

"Marco Bodt. Squad Leader and member of the 104th Cadet Corps." Jean mumbled as he stood by his deceased friend. 

"Jean?" Tiffany asked as she placed her hand on his shoulder, only for it to be pushed away.

"Leave me alone." Jean growled as he walked away from the surprised girl.

"Jean, I'm sorry." The girl whispered as she looked down at the ground.

"Tiffany." A female called from behind.

"Yes? Oh, hello, Annie." The girl greeted as she turned away from the retreating Jean.

"I'm sorry about Marco, I know that you were close to him." Annie mumbled as she shifted her gaze towards the sky.

"I'm sorry about Marco as well. He was much closer to Jean than me, but he still was a good friend." Tiffany smiled softly.

"I have to ask you something." Annie suddenly stated as she looked around the now empty street.

"Okay?"

"What is your take on the Titans and us humans?" The blonde girl asked quietly.

"My take? Well, Titans are humanities enemies and need to be destroyed in order for humans to survive. But at the same time, I don't see us being able to actually defeat them. Why do you ask?" Tiffany frowned slightly as she looked at the girl.

"I saw you that day." Annie stated.

"What?" 

"In the forest during our training. You transformed into a cat with black fur and blue eyes." Annie explained as she shot a deadly glare at the girl in front of her.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Tiffany laughed as she stared at Annie nonchalantly.

"You do know, and we both know that the Titans don't even care about your existence." Annie spat as she crossed her arms.

"You know, two can play at this game Titan." Tiffany smirked as she saw Annie's eyes widen.

"What?" Annie barely spoke above a whisper.

"Just because you haven't shown yourself within the walls doesn't mean that I can't smell Titan off of you." Tiffany stated.

"Alright then, let's make a deal. I don't share your secret, and you don't share mine." Annie sighed as she turned away slightly.

"Deal."

The two girls then made their way towards the gates in silence, although now they both had to keep a close eye on each other in order to keep their secret safe. Making it to where the others were, Tiffany noticed Jean sitting off by himself, but she wasn't sure if she should approach him just yet. The last thing she needed was for him to explode on her and say something in the end that he didn't mean. Or at least something that she hoped he didn't mean. Staying off to the side, she watched as all the corpses were lit aflame. This was the funeral that all the soldiers received after dying valiant deaths. Silent tears streamed down Tiffany's face as she watched the bodies burn and become less and less recognizable. So many people had died, and there was nothing that she could have down to save them. Watching the flames consume her comrades made her think about her decision about joining the military, and now she wished that she had just stayed home and became a hunter with her brother.