Well That's Public Knowledge

The next morning, Matthew woke up to a knock on his door. Still feeling a little groggy, he gets up and stumbles to the door to see Hanji standing there.

"Hello, Section Commander." Matthew stifles a yawn.

"Good morning, Matthew!" Hanji screeches as she shoves her way into his room.

"I guess Mike wasn't lying when he said you were loud no matter what time of day." Matthew grumbled as he watches the woman pace around his room.

"Ah, Mike... He was a good friend and colleague. Now the real business which brings me hear. Erwin has requested our presence." Hanji grins as she watches the boy in front of her stretch his limbs.

"Okay, give me a minute to get dressed." Matthew sighs as he ushers Hanji out the door.

        Once Hanji was outside of his room, Matthew began pulling out his clothes for the day. Obviously, he didn't have any type of uniform since he wasn't a soldier. After a few minutes, Matthew was fully dressed and following Hanji through the corridors of the Barracks. Everything was quiet as the two moved down the corridor in which Erwin was staying. Hanji knocked on the door once before hearing a slight grunt from the occupant. The door was opened and Hanji stepped into the room first. Matthew took in his surroundings as he too stepped into the room. Erwin wasn't the only man inside of the room. Levi was there as well as the Garrison Commander Pixis.

"Good, you're here." Commander Pixis smiles as he turns to face the newcomers.

"After last night's discussion, I figured we should meet once more before Levi goes to rendezvous with his team." Erwin states as he situates himself on his bed.

"Right, well what is there left to talk about?" Levi grunted as he leaned on the wall opposite of Erwin's bed.

"I think it's time that we explain what Matthew's role is." Erwin smirks as he watched the group's reactions.

"My role, Sir?" Matthew questions with a suspicious glance towards the Scout Commander.

"That is true... I am very interested in why you want him around." Levi muses as he peers back and forth between Erwin and Matthew.

"I thought that it was agreed upon that only you would know, Commander." Matthew states with a little hostility.

"That was for the circumstances concerning your sister. You, on the other hand, are a different story. It would need to be common knowledge between everyone in this room of what your role is. It would help with keeping the trust among us. Don't you think?" Erwin's smirk never left his face as he spoke.

"I see." Matthew's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"So what's the big secret?" Hanji giddily asks as she hops over to Matthew's side.

"Yes, what is this secret?" Pixis muses as he rest his hand against his chin.

"Matthew and Tiffany are both descendants of a long line of Shifters. Granted these Shifters are much different compared to those like Eren. These Shifters are known as Nekos, which derives from an ancient Asian dialect. It was said that their line was completely wiped out when the Titans appeared." Erwin explained briefly while looking around the room.

"You mean, he can turn into a..." Hanji begun but faltered as she failed to figure out what Neko meant.

"Cat. I can turn into a cat." Matthew sighed as he eyed Erwin.

"What exactly will that do to help us?" Levi groaned as he thought about Matthew and Tiffany turning into little furry felines.

"They are perfect for reconnaissance, and delivering messages. I had used Tiffany as a means of communication with Mike." Erwin stated proudly as he thought of Tiffany.

"But wouldn't Tiffany have been a better candidate for this?" Levi asked with a brow raised.

"She isn't here now is she? But no, she is in the middle of her own mission currently." Erwin sighs as his line of sight connects with the Captain.

"And what mission is that? You haven't told anyone that she was doing something for you." Levi growled as he thought about the loss of a good soldier.

"She is keeping an eye on the Titan Shifters, and communicating any information to her brother." Erwin's voice cracked slightly from the nonstop talking he had been doing.

"How is she communicating with you?" Hanji beams as she turns to face the youngest person in the room.

"We have a link that connects our brainwaves. It's difficult to explain." Matthew vaguely states.

"Then do you have anything to report?" Levi asks with impatience.

"He reported to me last night. Now I think that you should meet up with your squad, and do not talk about any of these developments with anyone. I'll be sending Matthew to you in a few days time." Erwin states as he dismisses everyone from his room.

        Matthew was the first to leave the Commander's room and make his way back to his own room. The others filed out a few minutes later, but by then Matthew was already out of the corridor. Once he arrived to his room, Matthew grabbed a small pouch of money and left the Barracks. Walking down the dirt path towards the town, he noticed that there were some children running around the trees. Smiling gently, he thought back to when he and Tiffany would play behind their house in Quinta. It was so long ago, and both of them had grown up immensely since then. Then the thought of his sister being a spy settled into his brain. The smile turned into a frown as he thought about how dangerous her situation had become. She would have to be careful of anything that she said or did, or else she could be killed. Clenching his fist, Matthew made his way through the streets of the town and bought a few more shirts and another pair of pants. It felt like it was just yesterday that the Titans invaded the walls, even though he knew that it had been almost six years. Buying a loaf of bread, Matthew made his way towards the edge of town and back towards the Barracks. 

"Matthew!" A feminine voice resounded from behind the boy.

"Yes, Hanji?" Matthew turned to face the girl, who was now in front of him.

"I wanted to ask you some questions about your transformation!" She beamed as she linked her arm with his.

"Uh, okay." Matthew's face turned a bright red as he noticed how close this woman was to him.

        The two walked back to the Barracks talking about his feline transformation and what traits come with it. Throughout his walk with the Section Commander, Matthew learned just how crazy this woman can be. She had asked several times if she could see him transform, as well as if she could take a sample of his blood. Of course he refused everything and decided to keep her at an arms distance away from him. It actually took him ten minutes to get the woman to leave him alone, and much to his relief, she left him at the door to the Barracks. Matthew moved down the corridors towards his own room slowly, and made sure that Hanji wasn't following behind him as he went to enter his room. Sighing in relief, Matthew entered his room and placed all of his new clothes in their rightful place and began his nightly routine. He was hoping that tonight Tiffany would be able to give him any information on how she is doing and if there was anything valuable about the Shifters that she was with. About half an hour later, Matthew was in bed and staring at the ceiling. He couldn't seem to connect with his sister, which probably meant that she wasn't sleeping just yet. He lay there for a while before he started to feel drowsy, and started to shift between sleeping and staring at the ceiling. The next few days were going to be crazy, he could just feel it, but he couldn't just let down his sister. He knew that Tiffany was counting on him to watch over her friends, but he wasn't sure if he had the temper to keep his mouth shut about her whereabouts. 

        But there are things a little closer to home that he needed to worry about, now that Erwin made the Jones' family secret known.