Catching Up With The Times

"Tiffany! Oh my gods, you're awake!" Matthew shrieked as he threw his arms tightly around her.

"Don't be so loud! I love you, but I think I love my hearing a little bit more." The younger sibling laughed as she hugged the man.

"I'm sorry, it's just that being able to actually hug you and talk to you is so overwhelming. It feels different when we are communicating telepathically." Matthew frowned as he pulled away from his sister.

"I agree, but at least I'm back! Matthew? Is it okay if I wash up?" Tiffany smiled sheepishly as she ran her fingers through her hair.

"Of course! I'll grab some of your clothes and leave them by the door!" He beamed as he shot out of his seat.

Laughing lightly at the childlike man, Tiffany slowly stood to her feet and wobbled over to the bathroom. Stripping off her clothes, she took noticed of all the little scars that littered her body. Some bringing up some funny memories, while others brought up the most recent events. Sighing heavily, Tiffany stepped into the shower and began to wash her greasy hair. After about an hour, she finally stepped out feeling clean and dried off her body before wrapping a towel around herself. Exiting the bathroom, the room she had been occupying was empty and her clothes were neatly folded on her bed. Smiling slightly, the younger Jones child slipped her clothes on and tied her hair into a high ponytail. A frustrated sigh escaped her lips as she pulled her fingers through her hair, and she vowed that once she had the chance, her hair would be shortened. Once she was ready, Tiffany ventured outside of her room and noticed her brother leaning against the wall.

"Were you waiting for me?" Tiffany smiled as she approached the man.

"No, I was waiting for the hot nurse. Of course I was waiting for you!" Matthew laughed loudly.

"Yeah, whatever Smart-ass. I'm hungry, let's go find something to eat." The younger sibling grumbled as she ventured down the hall.

Laughing more at the expense of his sister, Matthew followed behind with a massive grin on his face. He watched as her face lit up with curiosity when she noticed lights that didn't require fire on the walls. Stepping outside into the night air, the two siblings smiled and made their way to the mess hall. The sun had set quite some time ago, but Matthew knew that all of Tiffany's friends would be in the mess hall finishing up their meals. Looking at his sister, he noticed that her pace had slowed down quite a bit and she had an anxious look on her face.

"Are you okay?" Matthew frowned as he came to a stop beside the girl.

"Do you think they still miss me? Like will they be happy to see me after all this time?" Tiffany frowned as she stared at the large double doors in front of her.

"I think it's obvious that they would be happy to see you, Tiffany. They've all been worried sick about you, and they've been really excited to show how much the world has changed." The older boy smiled gently as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I suppose you're right." She smiled.

The entered the mess hall silently and continued to make their way over to where the food was handed out. So far, all conversations continued as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the chatter and people, Tiffany grabbed her food silently and waited for Matthew to lead her to where they would sit. Matthew let a smug grin appear on his face as he led the girl through the crowded room and towards a certain table. Initially, the group looked up briefly and gave short acknowledgments to the older male, but none took notice of the girl behind him. Taking a seat near the end of the table, Matthew place a chair at the end for Tiffany to sit so that she could see all of the faces of her friends. No one had acknowledged her presence, and she took a small breath and began to eat her food silently. After a few minutes of silence from the group, Matthew let out a frustrated sigh as he looked at everyone at the table.