Chapter 1

(Emily's POV) 

Today's the day, I can't believe it's finally here. 35 days ago, I graduated from med school and today, I'm going for my job interview. But not just any job interview, it's for my dream job. Ever since I was little, I knew that I wanted to become a doctor and work for an AFL (Australian Football League) club, especially my favourite, Carlton Football Club. After I graduated from med school, I discovered they had a job opening, and so, I applied and today is finally my interview for a place as a physiotherapist for Carlton.

As I am getting ready to leave for my interview, butterflies fill my stomach, I know that today is either a make or break day. Thoughts start to fill my head about how I have to ace this interview, or else, I'm a failure. As I walk downstairs from my bedroom, I'm greeted by my brother Zac Fisher and our housemate Sam Walsh. Both Zac and Sam play for Carlton and both helped persuade me to apply for the job there, convincing me that I was great and had nothing to be afraid of. My brother, Zac and I have been living together ever since he turned 18, about six years ago. Ever since my Mum and Dad died in a plane crash, Zac got legal custody of me, at first it was hard on both of us but we managed. About four years ago, Sam moved in with us, just after he was drafted to Carlton. Sam and Zac have always been close and Sam is like a second brother to me, just as overprotective as Zac is.

This overprotectiveness grew once I started dating a forward for the Western Bulldogs (another afl team), Laitham (Lait) Vandermeer. Zac, as my brother is immediately suspicious of anyone I date and Walshy always said to me that if Lait ever breaks my heart, Sam would break his. I know he's only joking, but still, I hope it never happens.

As I'm putting my shoes on, I hear Zac opening the front door, "Are you ready?", he asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be" I say, stepping past Zac and onto our doorstep.

"Let's go then" Walshy says while jumping on my back.

I run to the passenger side of the car and almost get in, but I am suddenly lifted off the ground and thrown into the back seat by a very tall Sam.

The drive to Ikon Park (where Carlton trains) takes around 20 minutes, but in what felt like a heartbeat, we were nearing Ikon Park. The prospect of my future hanging in the balance of a single job interview starts to get to me, my breath starts becoming shaky and my legs start trembling like crazy. Zac looks at me through the overhead mirror, notices my nerves and nods to Sam.

Sam looks back at me and says,"You will do amazing,"

At the sound of Sam's voice, I pick my head up, "But what if they don't think I'm qualified" I say with my lips shaking.

"Em, you have worked your ass off to get through med school and now your dream is going to come true, you can't think of the negatives" He says with a smile on his face.

I know he's trying to help me, but what if I don't get the job? What if I've worked for so long just to end the journey in disappointment?

"How can you be so sure?" I say.

"Because you are Emily freaking Fisher and you don't let anything get in your way!" He screams at the top of his lungs.

Before I can respond my phone starts vibrating. I pull it out from my pocket and, not to my surprise, it's a text from Laitham.

It reads: "Baby, I know you are going to crush this job interview. You've worked so hard for this and you make me so proud to have you as my girlfriend. Please call me after the interview, I want to hear all about it, Lait ♡"

"Thank you baby, I will definitely call you once I'm in the clear. I got to go - almost at Ikon :)" I text back quickly.

As I put my phone back down, I realise the car has stopped. That means we are here, at Ikon park. This is it, I reach out to push the car door open, but my body is frozen still. I can't move. My mind is telling my limbs to move, but they can't. I'm stuck. My mouth begins to dry up and I feel the familiar tears rush up, but then the door opens and I hear a familiar voice telling me it's ok and helping me to get my limbs back working. It was Sam, sometimes, I don't know what I would do without my second brother.

After a whole pep talk from Sam and Zac, I'm pushed towards the entrance of Ikon Park. Walking through the doors, I'm greeted by David Teague, the senior coach and William James, the head of the medical staff. I'm led into a room, I sit down and the interview begins.

Time flashes by and just like that, two and a half hours later I'm texting Zac to ask where he is. He quickly responds back, telling me that he's in the car. So I rushed out to him and Sam eagerly waited for me in the car.

"Sooooo, how was it?" Zac asks.

I replay the interview in my head and start to smile, "I think it went well, they loved my resume and my medical skills. They said I would get a call later on if I got the job."

I really hope that I get the job and I know that I won't be able to relax until I get the call.

"I'm so proud of you, Em", they both say in unison, which makes me giggle, I couldn't have done this without them.