Chapter 7

(Emily's POV)

It's been almost a day since I found out, I still haven't managed to get out of bed. Sam and Zac have been watching me like a hawk, part of me likes it because it shows me that they actually care, but I also want a bit of space at times.

Mia Johnson, my best friend came over earlier today to check up on me because I haven't talked to her in 3 days. Mia always knows how to cheer me up, she brought me breakfast in bed and she got the most delicious banana bread from our favorite bakery. Mia and I have been best friends since birth, she has been there for all of my life ups and downs. Having her by my side right now helps more than she would think.

Today was the last day before I start working for Carlton, it still seems so unreal that my dream has come true. I have already packed my bag and put it by the front door. Luckily I didn't have to pack a lunch, because I'm able to eat lunch with the Carlton boys.

(Couple hours later)

It's dinner time and Zac cooked up my favorite meal, lasagne. I don't know why I love it so much but I do. We are all sitting on the couch and the boys decide to watch the footy game on. But, as soon as Sam turns it on he realizes that the Western Bulldogs are playing and quickly changes the channel.

"We can watch the game, I don't mind"  I say quietly

"Are you sure Em?" Zac asks me

I just nod my head. It's 5 minutes till half time and the dogs are up by 17 points, I'm glad the dogs are up because they are going against Great Western Sydney, another team I don't really like. The game is dominated by the dogs, it doesn't take me long to recognise Lait, I can spot that number 23 anywhere. Yet, Laitham is quickly tackled by Toby Greene, play continues but Lait is still lying on the floor holding his abdomen, Greene did a usual on him; kicking him in the stomach. Thankfully, he is able to get up by himself but still holds his abdomen tightly. Both Zac and Sam look at me to see my reaction. I don't know what to say, technically we still haven't broken up, but I don't know if I should care as much because I don't know if I can forgive him.

"Em, what's wrong" Zac says as he notices tear falling down my face

"I don't know, I don't know if I should still care about him after what he did" I say

"You can still care about him Em, you loved him" Sam says as he hugs me

I just want to stay here forever, with Sam and Zac around me, I don't know why, but knowing that they are both there to protect warms my heart.

We continue to watch the game, not much else happens, as we predicted the dogs crushed the giants, but that's not what I was concerned about. They weren't able to get an update about Lait, besides that he is going for scans as we speak. The boys decide that they want to watch another game ; Gold Coast Suns vs St. Kilda Saints. This game was much more interesting. The two teams were neck and neck the whole game, it was the third quarter and the Suns were up by 7.

My phone starts vibrating out of nowhere, it's an unknown number but I still answer it and thank god I did.

"Hello, this is Cathy from The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Is this Emily Fisher speaking" she says

"Yes, this is her speaking" I reply

"Okay lovely, well on our records we have you as the emergency contact for Laitham Vandeermer" she says

"Okay, what's happened with Laitham"  I reply

"Well as you probably know he was playing football and was kicked in the abdomen, he is having an x-ray as we speak, but we would like you to come in just so he has support when he hears the news" she responds

"Okay, I will come in"  I say ending the call

I think to myself, why am I Lait's emergency contact, I mean I knew it wouldn't be his parents because they live up north, but why not a teammate, why me, why was I special.

"Who was that" Zac asks

"It was the hospital, supposedly I'm Laits emergency contact and they want me to come in to be with him for when he gets the news about the scans"  I say

"Well are you going to go" Sam answers

"I mean I dont really have a choice" I respond

"Um, okay,  I will come with you, you will need support, Walshy you stay here we don't need anyone to beat him up" Zac says

"AHAH, very funny" Sam says and he turns back to watch the TV

"Well I guess we are going, we will be back soon" I tell Sam