August 9, 2008

My 10th birthday party was going great. It was a combination pool party, movie night, and sleepover, and me and ten of my friends were currently in the pool trying to outdo each other with crazy acrobatics while my dad hung a sheet on the back fence. My parents rented a projection TV so that everyone could float on inner tubes in the pool while Shrek the Third entertained us after the sun went down.

My actual birthday had been the day before, and I'd celebrated with my extended family. This included the Burroughs since they were always at everything important.

Lisa and my mom had met in a neighborhood playgroup when Ceci and I were just babies. They'd hit it off immediately, and soon they were doing stuff that included our dads. Eric and my dad shared a lot of interests, and for as long as I can remember, the four of them had been best friends.

When my parents bought our current house, the Burroughs started looking in the same development and found one just four blocks away. The joke was that they needed to be within walking distance so that no one would have to drive after a late night at one of our houses. Not that any of them were alcoholics or anything; they just liked to sit around and drink beer and wine every once in awhile. Ceci and I would listen from the next room as their conversations got louder and full of more swear words. My mum's British accent always got more pronounced after a glass or two of wine, and we'd have a competition who could imitate her the best.

"Everyone pick a partner for this next game," my mom called out, clearly trying to organize the chaos in our backyard pool.

Ceci swam over to me. "Partner?" she asked hopefully. She was the only girl at my party, and I knew that put her in an awkward position.

"Sorry, Cecilia," Devon said as grabbed my arm. "Shawn's my partner."

Devon had moved in across the street from me in June and was trying really hard to assert himself as my new best friend. He showed up at my door every single day wanting to hang out, though I suspected it was mainly because I had a pool and two game consoles and not because he thought I was particularly cool.

Ceci quirked an eyebrow. "I think that's up to Shawn, isn't it?"

Devon looked at me expectantly and I felt my stomach clench up uncomfortably. I hated being put on the spot like this, which had been happening more frequently in this summer.

On the one hand, Ceci was my best friend and if it could choose a partner for anything, it was her. On the other hand, my guy friends had been giving me crap lately that I hung out with a girl so much. If I chose her, we'd both get teased. Choosing Devon was definitely the easier and safer option. Besides, he was new to Toronto and didn't know everyone. It was kinder to pick him. Or so I told myself.

"I'm gonna be with Devon," I said, avoiding looking at Ceci before diving underwater.

When I surfaced on the other side of the pool, my little sister Aaliyah was talking to my best friend.

"I'll play with you, Ceci! I pick you for a partner!" she said from the pool deck since she wasn't allowed in the water with so many big kids.

"Thanks, 'Liyah. There's no one I'd rather team up with," Ceci said as she climbed up the ladder.

We played games for about an hour while my dad grilled hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. I opened presents after we ate, and then we got back in the blue water. Once the sun set, the movie started. Ceci had Aaliyah in her arms on one of the bigger inner tubes and the two of them giggled at the silly parts of the movie. I hadn't spoken to Ceci since I'd rejected her as my partner, and I found myself feeling jealous of the attention my four year old sister was getting.

The movie ended, and my mom took Aaliyah up to bed while my friends and I changed out of our swim suits and into pajamas. Ceci changed, too, though she wasn't staying. Her parents had told mine that she could stay until midnight, but that she couldn't sleep over. There'd been a hushed conversation the night before that I couldn't make out, but I could tell it was about me and Ceci getting older and not being able to do all the things we used to. We used to stay the night at each other's houses all the time, but apparently me turning ten was going to put an end to that. It was pretty stupid, if you asked me. It's not like Ceci and I would ever do anything. Just thinking about that grossed me out.

My dad started a new round of games and once again, a partner was required. There was an odd number, and Aaliyah was gone, so this meant someone would be left out. I knew who that person would be. It was kind of crazy, because Ceci was definitely one of the best-liked people at school. At the end of the school year there'd been a lot of stupid accusations of guys and girls liking each other, and suddenly a line was drawn. The boys tended to stick together, as did the girls.

"I pick Ceci!" I said so loudly that the room went silent as all eyes fell on me. "Oh...and if anyone doesn't have a partner, they can be a trio with us," I added in a somewhat quieter voice.

Ceci, who was wearing pink and purple striped pajamas, crawled across the floor and sat next to me and gave me a bright smile.

"Sorry about earlier," I whispered to her as everyone around us found someone to pair up with.

She shrugged. "I know you'd never do anything mean to me on purpose. It's okay."

"I really liked your present. Maybe you could come over tomorrow after the guys leave and we could play. We're having doughnuts for breakfast, and I'll save you two of the sprinkled kind since they are your favorite."

She'd given me Mario Kart along with a pair of steering wheels. Santa had given me the Wii last Christmas, but I only had four games for it. I was excited to have a new one for the two of us to master.

"That sounds like fun, but you know I'm going to cream you, right?"

"Wanna bet your doughnuts?"

"You're on!" she said before shaking my hand.