July 10, 2021

My mum used her realtor's key code to open the door to the waterfront condo.

"Take your time to look around and get the measurements you need," she said. "I've got to meet a client I'm showing a home to in an hour. Just be sure to lock the door when you leave because technically you're not supposed to be here alone even if your contract has been accepted."

"Got it," I said. "I'm gonna take a bunch of pics. That's okay since the place is empty, right?"

"It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow for Sunday dinner, right?"

"I wouldn't miss dad's barbecue brisket for the world."

She left and I looked around at my future home. Then I pulled out my phone and made a call.

"Hello?" Ceci answered.

"Hey, what are you doing right now?"

"Hm, well I was sleeping, but now that I'm up, a coffee is the first thing on my agenda."

"Fuck. I woke you?" I asked.

"It's fine. I had the dream last night and then I couldn't get back to sleep for hours. That's why I slept so late."

"You had it again? Why didn't you call me! You know I would have been there in ten minutes."

Ceci had been experiencing a recurring dream since we lost the baby. In it she was pregnant again, often further along than she'd been. She told me it was so vivid that she'd touch her stomach and feel little kicks. She could hear the whooshing sound of its heart in the background along with a faint lullaby as she sat in a beautifully decorated nursery. It was all very pleasant and as long as it continued, she loved it. The horrible part, which in some ways made it a nightmare, came when she'd wake up and realize it wasn't real.

"There's no reason for both of us to lose sleep," she said.

"You're more important than sleep. Promise me you'll call me next time."

"Okay...okay. I promise. Now why did you call?"

"I'm going to text you an address. I want you to come to it after you've had your coffee. I'll also text the code to get access to the parking garage and into the building."

"This is very mysterious. How about I grab us both coffees on my way there?" she suggested.

"Even better."

Forty-five minutes later, there was a soft knock at the door. I opened it and smiled at Ceci who was holding a travel carrier with four coffees.

"I got us each two because I knew I needed a second and I figured you might, too."

"You've always been the smartest person I know," I said as I took them from her and led her to the kitchen where I set them down on the island.

"So why are we in a gigantic penthouse condo?" she asked as she took one of the coffees with cream and sugar.

"Because I'm buying it and I want an architect's input on some things."

"But why? I know we'd discussed you getting a bigger place, but...you know...that's no longer necessary."

The sadness in her eyes as she skirted around saying why I didn't need the extra room anymore broke my heart.