November 12, 2016

Tour was over and I was home. Lately, I spent almost as much time on the road as off it, which I refused to complain about. Every single day I was grateful for the life I got to live, though I may have whined a little to my mum and dad about how horrible the flights from Sydney to Europe were.

As soon as my tour ended in Oceania, I went to Rotterdam to perform for the European MTV Music Awards. I then had appearances in Amsterdam and Milan before finally making it home. I was only home for a week because I had to go to LA for the AMAs and after that, New York, where I was the musical guest on Saturday Night Live. Then I was going back to London for one Jingle Ball show before doing several others in the US. It was a good thing I had no trouble sleeping on airplanes.

I woke up in my double bed in the room I'd grown up in and looked at my phone. I'd slept past breakfast, and my growling stomach motivated me to get up and go downstairs.

"Hello, sleepyhead," my mum said when I walked into the kitchen.

"G'morning, or I guess afternoon," I greeted, my voice a little scratchy. "What can I have to eat?"

"There's sandwich stuff in the fridge, but I can make you something hot if you'd prefer it."

"A sandwich is great," I told her as I started pulling meat and cheese from the deli drawer.

I assembled a simple sandwich and got myself a large glass of water before sitting down at the kitchen table next to my mum. She had her computer open to a real estate database and was scrolling quickly past various listings.

"One of my clients wants a house with a pool and there's not a lot out there in their price range," she said when she saw I was watching her.

"You should help me find a place soon. I'm eighteen and I've got plenty of money."

"Yes, you are eighteen, but you've never lived on your own. You can't cook and you haven't done much cleaning, other than your chores. I don't know that you're ready to be a homeowner."

"I made this sandwich, didn't I? I bet I'd learn the basics fast. I can hire someone to clean," I explained.

She reached over and pushed my hair off my forehead. "We don't get a lot of time with you, so it's nice that you're here when you aren't flying all over the world. Do your old mum a favor and don't hurry out the door too quickly."

"Okay...okay," I said before taking a bite out of my sandwich.

I didn't want to tell her, but it was a little hard to go from touring and being fairly independent to living under my parents' roof. It's not like I could meet a hot girl and bring her back to my childhood bedroom. Not a new girl, at least. Ceci has been in my bed on several occasions when my family was out of the house.

That reminded me...Ceci had texted a couple days ago to tell me I should come visit her at school. I pulled out my phone.

Im home

U gonna show me around u of t?

She responded a few minutes later.

Welcome back to Canada!!!

I've got a huge calc test Monday and need to study tomorrow

I was going to have a quiet night in my dorm

You can come hang if you want

I looked at my mom. "I'm headed to Toronto tonight to see Ceci. We didn't have plans did we?"

"Just dinner, but you can miss it if you need to."

I didn't want to miss dinner with the fam on my first full night back. I texted Ceci again.