March 7, 2022

"So what do you think of Los Angeles?" I asked Ceci as I drove us back to my rental house in Malibu after eating dinner in Beverly Hills.

I'd finished tour and was staying in L.A. for a week to work on recording my fifth album. The problem was, there was no way it would be done in that time, which meant I'd have to come back soon. Then I'd have to return again to work on the album's artwork and later for the music videos.

"It's beautiful. I'm really glad that I was able to take time off and join you for a few days," she said.

"Could you see yourself living here?"

She'd been looking out the window at the passing scenery, but this question made her turn and look at me. We rounded a curve and then took a right into the driveway. I parked in front and got out of the car before joining her at the passenger door.

"That's a funny thing to ask. Why would I ever live here?" she replied as we walked up the steps to the glass front door.

Once we were inside we went into the perfectly decorated living room. Ceci removed her earrings and set them on the coffee table and then took off her high heels so that she could tuck her feet underneath her on the black velvet sofa. I sat down next to her.

"For years I've thought that it would make sense to own a second home here since it's where I spend most of my time when I'm not in Toronto or touring. Canada will always be my primary residence, but I like the idea of having a real home here, too. That way I could really relax when I'm here instead of staying in one of these overly stylized and sterile rentals."

She tilted her head to the side as she listened to what I said. When I was done, she took my hand in hers. "You've told me that you'd thought about this, but that was long before you and I were together. Are you asking for my blessing? If so, of course you have it. If you need to spend time here for your career, I understand and support you."

"Thank you, baby. I'm asking for more than your blessing, though. I want you to be with me when I'm here."

"But I've got my job."

That was the one obstacle that I knew could ruin this. I couldn't very well ask her to give up her career to accommodate mine. That's why I'd done some research.

"There are a lot of architects who work solely online as consultants. I read this whole article about it. And then I searched tiny home builders in this area, and it's a growing field. You could definitely do work both here and in Toronto, where we'd still be living a lot of the time."

"I'm sure I'd be able to do that kind of work, but I love the company I work for now. My life is in Toronto."

I knew she didn't mean to hurt me, but that last statement stung. She was my life now and I assumed I was hers. I wasn't going to be in Toronto if I bought a house here, so wouldn't part of her life be gone?

"I love you and I want us to be together," I told her. "I know that I've sprung this on you suddenly, and I know we haven't been a couple for very long. We're not your average girlfriend and boyfriend, though. In some ways we've been together since we became best friends. You were my first everything and I was yours. We have a history that supersedes the short amount of time we've been dating."

Ceci let go of my hand and stood up. For a second, I thought she was going to leave the room, but she didn't. She sat sideways on my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me closer until our foreheads were touching.

"I agree with you completely. We know each other better than some couples who have been married twenty years do. I think our relationship timeline needs to be measured in dog years or something since each month feels like so many more."